1990 Zenith horizontal width is too wide

I own a Zenith model SS1913W (Made in 1990) with a slight problem: The horizontal width is too wide - cuts off lots of picture. No marked pots to set it. I don't work on TVs, but it seemed it was somthing to do with the flyback Xformer. How would one set it?

Thanks, Lee

-- Lee Haymond

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lee Haymond's Profile:

View this thread:

Future Hardware -

Lee Haymond

Called overscan. And probably as it left the factory.;-( If no pot there could be a jumper or even an inductor. But be prepared for the geometry to go out even if you can set the width correctly.

--
*No sentence fragments *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's almost a dozen pots on the board, none are marked. Can't find a schematic, how would one determine what to do without one? Thanks

-- Lee Haymond

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lee Haymond's Profile:

View this thread:

Future Hardware -

Lee Haymond

You can experiment, but that would likely be very frustrating. Hope that someone else posts with some hints.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

with the age of that set is is most definatly drifting caps look around the fly area for puffy caps that set has seen its days cheaper to by new

Reply to
David Naylor

Don't even think of touching the pots! Modern TV sets don't just go out of adjustment, there's obviously a fault and if you start messing with the pots, no tech will be willing to touch the thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reminds me of that old story about a valve radio brought in for repair - the customer says it worked fine until he hoovered out the dust and tightened up all the loose screws.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing seemed puffy. It seemed to make no noticeable difference when I swapped out 2 mylar caps, 1 between the H drive transistor's C & B, 1 between it's B & E. The E is connected to the heat sink & what looked generally like ground, C to the flyback x-fmr through a ferrite bead, the B to a small x-fmr, I'm guessing for drive step-up. I don't have a schematic, anyone got one? Am I looking at the right caps?

--
Lee Haymond
Lee Haymond's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=286

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in