YPrPb --> VGA

I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to connect the component video to.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I tried hooking the Component video from my dvd player into a VGA cable and I get a picture in 480p mode but it is Green. There are no other colors present, just green..

Any ideas??

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I don't believe so. VGA is RGB and YPrPb is luminance, R-Y and B-Y. There is another hi-def standard that is slightly different. It might be called YCrBr. I don't know the exact difference in the signals but when I see a Y at the front I suspect it's also monochrome plus difference format.

I could build a matrixing circuit to convert it to true RGB, but I can't do anything about the scan frequencies. Standard progressive scan from a DVD should be 31.5 Khz by 59.97 Hz. That would produce a raster with 480 usable lines scanned progressively.

If it has an internal scan converter that can handle this timing, the other issue might be the native resolution of the projector. If it's not a multiple of 480 you might have artifacts. Best would be 960, 1440 or 1920 pixels vertical resolution.

If it allows for manual scaling you might get it to look good with other resolutions by not using the entire "screen".

With all this, it's probably not worth persuing.

Gotta go.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

I did get my dvd player to work with my VGA monitor (viewsonic pf790) in

480p mode but not 480i. There is one major problem though, the only color channel working is green. I'm pretty sure I have everything wired correctly, but there is no color but green.. With the exception of the screen on a movie preview that is solid blue with green letters that actually should be white.

I've read this is possible with an xbox at

I'm also interested in making my xbox work with my monitor if possible.. I havn't tried this yet though. I was wanting to get it working with my dvd player first if possible.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Can't be done directly, component video and RGB are completely different formats. You might get a synced image, but you'll never get all the colours working.

The difference is explained here:

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Oops, just realised we're discussing a projector, not a VGA monitor. The above advice still stands *unless* your projector specifically supports component video via its 15 pin DSUB connector, as some do. If it does, the best thing to do might be to just buy the proper lead.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I found this... Is there a cheaper way of doing this

Michael Kennedy

You can buy converters for this for around $100-$200. Your DVD player needs to output progressive scan for it to work with a VGA input. I use one made by a company called Audio Authority for my video projector. A few DVD players will output RGB, but these are very rare. Every DVD player is capable of RGB, but the feature is almost never enabled.

As others have said, it's a simple task in theory, but building something that would work well is not a trivial task. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

It can be converted though for sure, a TV has to be able to decode it to RGB afterall, I suspect there's a single chip solution to do most of the work.

Reply to
James Sweet

That depends where one lives. In some parts of the world, notably here in Europe, DVD players without RGB are exceptionally rare.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Do you mean RGB as in VGA or YPrPb where it has 3 phono jacks. I need VGA signal, it is not the exact same thing as RGB.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

RGB as in TV standard RGB, not VGA.

Have you checked the spec of your projector to see if it supports component video? Some do.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

That is because of RGB to YYrYb or in your case YrYYb. So when you connect the G with Y you will have a green picture with the values of the luminance channel (if you had a white phosphor instead of the green one in your tube you would have a nice b/w picture) but the R and the B channels will not work with the other components.

Reply to
Martin D. Bartsch

VGA is RGB but the RGB frequency is too low for VGA

Reply to
Martin D. Bartsch

VGA is RGB. YPrPb is component video and totally different from RGB despite the color of the connectors. If you have a player that outputs RGB, you just need the right cable to connect it to a VGA device (assuming it's outputting 480p or higher). Most devices with a VGA connector won't sync to 480i. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

That's actually a very good price. I paid almost twice that for a second hand box on ebay a couple of years ago. You can pay more than that for some video cables these days.

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

You should check the options on your projector. Some are switchable to use either. If not you need a transcoder which can be found for about $100.

VGA is discrete RGB, while component uses difference signals.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

As I explained, you need a circuit to "dematrix" the color difference signals.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Something like this perhaps?

Looks simple enough, mostly just a handfull of op-amps and some passives.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good overview of the formats:

Ray L. Volts