VGA LCD WITH PIC ?

I'm looking into the possibility of sending text at least a bit map of characters to a LCD display

There are several 1/4 VGA LCD's also monitor LCD's, some of these are approx

6" or so long

can I drive them with a PIC or do I need to produce video with sync ect.

I used to use a Sieko LARGE char 16 * 1 LCD with LED backlight however these are no longer available

so I'm looking for options if you can think of any.

Thanks for your input

Peter

Reply to
Peter Kiproff

One option that might be open to you or not. Circuit Cellar magazine late last year had a very simple circuit with just a few ttl counters that was enough to generate one of the vga modes. You might see whether that circuit or the article that went with it might give you some ideas or a solution.

Reply to
Don Taylor

Hi Peter, You can have a look on my own "XY-plotter" article published in Circuit Cellar (available online here :

it could be a starting point... Friendly yours,

-- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

"Peter Kiproff" a écrit dans le message de news: lUr0e.36441$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

You could interface the PIC to a 'generic' ISA VGA video card....it gets real easy if you use an 8bitter but unless you've got a stash of 'old stuff' or a local 'recycle depot', it might be a little harder to find these old cards. I've used 'super I/O ' cards to easily interface PICs to floppies, Hard drives, extra RS-232 ports. And for some silly reason today someone dropped off 4 'server' towers with 12 slot backplanes in them. makes it real nice to test cards out! jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

of

approx

ect.

however these

Peter -

You might look at our SLCD board at

We have customers using PICs to drive a 1/4 VGA display.

Jonathan More

Reply to
jonathan.more

You may use one of our QVGA iLCD panels, you can use any (Windows) font and graphics (including animated graphics) loaded via the free setup software to the flash memory of the iLCD panel. Control can be done via serial port or I2C even with a very low cost PIC then.

Best regards Herbert

Reply to
demmel