What is Dexion / Handy Angle called in America?

I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps

The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2 supporting the edge.

N Cook

I don't think we have it over here, but the people on rec.crafts.metalworking will know for certain.

Reply to
mc

called Slotted Angle

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

:I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps :

:The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2 :supporting the edge.

Dexion is simply a brand name. I think US citizens usually identify products by function rather than by brand name alone, unlike Brits, Aussies or Kiwis, who always refer to it simply as 'Dexion'.

Slotted angle is the product manufactured by Dexion and they do have a US manufacturer/distributor

Ross Herbert

We've always hoovered over here . We've always referred to molegrips and stanley knives etc. Come 11/9 or even

9/11, if you must, we all had to find out what on earth box cutters were. You would think that RollsRoyce would be pleased that their name was being used as a synonym for quality design/manufacture. Failed campaign 100,000 references to the phrase "is the rolls royce of" on Google "The Humax PVR-9200T is the Rolls Royce of Freeview recording" coming top.

N Cook

It might be if indeed that appliance was of the best quality. But if it's just adspeak, as much is, and it's poor or just average, R-R might not want to be associated with it.

--
*Puritanism:  The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personally, I wouldn't think that dexion was the 'Rolls Royce' of materials to prop open the cases of electronic equipment, what if it slipped? - onto live circuitry! That`s what long handled screwdrivers were invented for.

Shirley it would be preferable to use a suitable length of light timber, or if you wanted to get really clever, you could make various lengths of pvc pipe or maybe even some telescopic devices.

;)

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

came

And

even

were.

being

top.

I disagree. Not too clear , camera shake - i'll redo, there are white cable ties at all ends so the top panel is not vaguely propped up sideways. It is held vertically quite sturdily, so its possible to move or tilt the whole ,18 inch sort of cube, arrangement quite securely. I would rather rely on steel dexion and nylon cable ties than bits of wood and string for moving awkward lumps weighing 24Kg. Case in point I could weigh myself on bathroom scales and then me + mixer amp , quite safely , to determine that 24Kg

N Cook

Kleenex comes to mind as well, and Windex, there's a whole load of brands that have become household names.

Reply to
James Sweet

I can't udnerstand why xerox wouldn't want that though. So many brands struggle to achieve a name like that. For instance in the south east US people here say I want a coke. Not a soda, and it builds brand loyalty. Xerox's stragegy seems somewhat counter intuitive.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

It keeps their brand from becoming generic. If everyone starts referring to any photocopy machine as a "Xerox machine" then pretty soon they don't stand out anymore. Of course this is virtually irrelevant these days when well known brands are slapped on whatever the 3rd party junk of the week is but at the time there was far more brand relevance.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi!

They did? There are some words that despite being trademarked, are well accepted ways to describe a process or piece of equipment, whether or not it was made by the trademark owner. The last I knew "xerox" was one such word.

If anything, I think the term might have fallen out of favor because of all the competition in copying machines. It is rather unusual around these parts to see a genuine Xerox piece of equipment.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I didn't know what they were talking about either. We called them a 'Utility Knife', and the cheap ones were called 'Razor Knives' because they used a single eedge razor blade.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Think about it. Someone hands you an unreadable copy of a document, and the other person replies, "Don't blame me! Blame the Xerox machine!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've always called it Dexion and use it a lot for quick lab construction projects.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news:I- adnas7j46rElnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I think that if they fail to 'defend' their trademark, then anyone can use 'the word' on their product and it is no longer a 'trademark'.

[I am not a lawyer, the above is not legal advice nor a legal opinion. consult a lawyer if you want to know for sure.]
--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

even

were.

It was all over the UK media at the time that the crews of the planes were overpowered by people armed only with box-cutters. As that is not , until then, a recognised UK term , I assumed it must be a USA term. A UK generic , ie not trade name, is a craft knife or retractable blade craft knife.

Our dates are the other way around. We would never refer to 9/11 or even

11/9 for that matter, it would be 11th of the 9th if contracted

N Cook

Probably caused by a 'talking head' (Idiot newscaster) who shopped at a 'Dollar Store' quite often, where you find Chinese made junk with weird names. Things like "60 inch Cat-5 Cable" which measure 32 inches. :(

it appears that a box cutter is a plastic Chinese knockoff of the all metal 'Razor knife'. the blades are so poor that they are scored to break off the bad tips. The first time I saw one of those was about 25 years ago, and it was US packaged as a "Disposable Utility Knife". Those cheap knives are used to open shipping cartons, simply because they are cheap, and so poor quality it's hard to cut yourself, when compared to a good utility knife.

Being a US Army Veteran, I'm used to YYYY-MM-DD or YY-MM-DD formatting. i still use it in file names, so they will sort in chronological order.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Are you familiar with Unistrut?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

:N Cook wrote: :> :> I was writing up tip for working on large desk top , mixer amps :>

:> The perforated angle metal marked D and the other one between D1 and D2 :> supporting the edge. : : : Are you familiar with Unistrut? : :

Yep..

Since it first appeared out here in the early 60's it was used to build overhead ironwork in some telephone exchanges. It was sufficiently strong enough and easier to handle than the heavy rolled steel U channel previously used.

Reply to
Ross Herbert