Conduction Angle

What is conduction angle and how can we measure it. I am using Microelectronics by Sedra Smith 5e. I am not clear about this concept and couldn't find any resource on the web also. Kindly explain it to me. Thanks in advance! Irfan

Reply to
Irfan

Consider that each full cycle of a sinusoidal waveform may be considered as "360 degrees" of that wave.

With that established, the fraction of the wave period in which a given active device is conducting (or otherwise doing its thing, e.g., amplifying the signal) may be expressed in terms of degrees. For instance, if you pass a sinusoid through an ideal (no forward drop) diode, you could say that the diode (since it passes exactly half the wave) has a "conduction angle" of 180 degrees.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers