Dual lead scope probe adapter -- does this look like a pricing error?

Hi:

After many years of not knowing enough to buy these, I am now stocking up. And scope probe to BNC adapters have been a big revelation too.

So this is the N2890A Passive Probe that came with an Agilent scope I bought a while back:

If you look at parts, (can't seem to post a working URL) it shows the dual lead adapter as $6.09 and the PCB socket adapter as $24.38

Well, the dual lead adpter is *made from* the socket by having someone solder wires on and heatshrink it!

So the socket if anything should be cheaper! I think it's an error.

I am trying to buy up all the adapters, but their stupid web store won't let me enter my billing address, which it already has, but says it doesn't.

So now I am looking for alternate suppliers of 5mm scope probe tip

BNC adapters dual lead adapters PCB sockets

I have found a few sources, but the bare PCB sockets seem to be the hardest to find.

It seems there are subtle differences in the probe tip diameter and taper than can make using 3rd party probe tip accessories problematic.

Beware if you use adapters whether or not the inner contacts are getting pried apart by an over sized probe tip, or even making reliable penetration depth.

Note that even adapters supplied by the probe maker (like Agilent) might damage their own adapter, because the probe tip might be larger than some other model that the adapter was actually designed for, but they cross referenced it to the new probe without checking little details.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

If you see the N2890A probe page, there is a link on the right under the section "Support Center > Parts"

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr.CRC

  • WHERE?? Not on that page; even options & accessories.
Reply to
Robert Baer

.

t.

HH Smith (now Abbatron) previously made smaller 3mm scope jacks for another series of HP scope probes both right angle and straight as shown on the Agilent website. TEK also makes a similar 2-part scope probe adaptor consisting of a 4-leg sleeve for the ground ans a machined socket pin for the center conductor. Perhaps a search of the Mill Max catalog will produce a suitable socket for the probe tip. I do agree that various sizes and bent probe tips can cause alot of grief with scope probe test points.

regards, al

Reply to
mickgeyver

500 MHz. 11 pF. Xc = 30 ohms!

That's insane. A resistive, 450 ohm probe would have more bandwidth and 1/15 the circuit loading.

This is a cool probe,

but you can make your own version of it for around 1/100 the price.

 Click to see the full signature

This site

states that: "A properly designed Loop primarily responds to the magnetic component of the radio wave. Note that noise resides primarily in the electrical component..."

Whereas this site shows that that is not the case:

So what is the purpose or function of the shield?

Consider three receivers:

1) Shielded loop antenna, receiver with differential input (center-tapped transformer or instrumentation amp). The two ends of the inner conductor of the antenna connected to the differential inputs and the shield connected to ground.

2) Same as above but without the shield.

3) Unshielded loop antenna, receiver with single-ended input. One end of the loop connected to the receiver input and the other to ground.

Assuming equal gains and environment would there be any difference in the noise level at the outputs?

Reply to
garyr

So one has to snoop around and/or know what to look for and WHERE to look....P/N 0960-2923 at that price is prolly worth buying instead of making (lower net cost).

Reply to
Robert Baer