way OT: loss of SysTray items

This is OT, but it might be significant. And this group seems more technically knowldegable than most of the others I belong to.

I noticed a few minutes ago that the Windows SysTray is suddenly missing most of the protective utilities, as well as a few other items. This might be a quirk, but I've decide to restart the machine, "just in case".

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:ge6tg2$k53$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

Is there an arrow (mine on Vista looks like a "less than" sign) to the left side of the notification area (tray)? Windows has a feature where it hides inactive program icons after a time. (Most people don't know how to remove those icons, or even that they can, so Windows just hides them.)

Puckdropper

--
If you\'re quiet, your teeth never touch your ankles.

Puckdropper

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:34:40 -0700, "William Sommerwerck" put finger to keyboard and composed:

This happens to me if Explorer crashes. A Ctrl-Alt-Del shows that the relevant utilities are still running, they're just not able to use the Systray for reporting purposes.

BTW, I think one of the microsoft.public newsgroups would be a better place to ask this kind of question. I participate regularly in one of the more active groups and find that the MSVPs are usually very helpful.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

3$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

ft

ides

move

If you right-click in the systray and select "Customize Notifications...." you can set the individual icon behavior to "always hide", "always show", or "hide when inactive".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I have the Windows Internals 4th on PDF that I would gladly lend you. It's 1000 pages/ 14 mb :)

Your problem if it's XP could be UPnP or SSDP services which can be safely disabled.

You can also open the Task Manager and kill the explorer process. It will respawn and should bring the icons back.

Reply to
Meat Plow