Slightly OT,but needed information.How to control spams in this group?

Dear All, For the past 1 week I am really disgusted to see more then 500 spams per day in this group and all these seem to relate to a religion.I am a daily reader in this group and want to avoid wasting my time searching for non spam messages.Are everyone facing the same problem in this group or it has got to do with some settings in my side to avoid spams ?How to control such spams? It wastes so much resources like time and bandwidth. Help me if any of you have got tips.One day I found 500 messages at a stretch which has got nothing to do with embedded.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

Religion? You're reading a lot more into them then I managed to.

Robert

Robert Adsett

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:59:07 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and ssubbarayan instead replied:

It appears you are posting via Google Groups. Nothing you can do.

If you use an ISP with a full NNTP server, you can do a lot via your ISP. Does your ISP support NNTP? If so, get Forte Agent and give it a go. Great internal scripting and filtering will help a lot.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Wow, I would have never known; I use Supernews NNTP feed and there are _zero_ spams for me...

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Hi, Yes.Thats the reason wanting to avoid it. Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

And for the many people for whom this isn't practical - let's see you install Thunderbird on my iPhone, or manage the five or six sets of configurations (and duplicated locally downloaded messages) I'd need to deal with all the news servers in the locations I find myself, and the tunneling software I'd need to contact an NNTP server from where I work - well, what about us?

Google needs local filters.

Reply to
larwe

You have a definite point. I live in the last century - phones are wired, etc. Gives me immunity to many things.

   Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

I use news.individual.net and can say nearly the same. Essentially no spam. Unless you count head hunter postings...

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

"ssubbarayan" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

I saw it for one day, and then it was gone. You should try to find a news provider which has a good filter.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Ed Prochak writes: [snip]

I got 500+ via a simple NNTP server on one day. I believe it was

400+ another day. All in this newsgroup.

Thankfully, I've seen it only twice...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene