Any Sony TV gurus out there?

I hope someone has seen this before: I've got a two year old Sony that doesn't get much use but recently died. Model KV36FS320 Chassis SCC-S61R-A fails to come on when the power button is pressed, no relay click, just nine flashes of the Timer/Standby LED. I checked the obvious: HOT and switcher transistors, and the standby +7.5V... all OK. I jumpered the power relay, then when the power button is pressed, the HV comes up (30KV) but drops out after about 2 seconds. Nothing is getting hot and there is no evidence of anything overheated. All supplies check OK when the set does come on for that short time. There is a V sweep signal on the yoke and the flyback secondary supplies appear OK. The set doesn't stay on long enough for the CRT filaments to light up. Apparently something is preventing the set from even trying to start up, but what.? I've run out of things to check. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Ray Carlsen CET University of Washington, Seattle

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the two zeroes.
Reply to

Possibly a leaky Q605 or D690 in the zero crossing detector.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 23054 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Ray Carlsen ha escrito:

that is not the chassis ref. you have there, i think you have an ae5. possibly an open fuse on the HT line (one fo those small black 2 legged rectangles) AFAICR .

Ray Carlsen ha escrito:

sony codes here. I think you may need to do some resoldering

There is something to remember that those Sony codes are NOT for all models.

kip

Leonard, Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Z det circuit and there is a nice clean pulse going into the M board. Any problems on that plug-in card have to be a -real- grunt... can't get to half of it while it's running. Perhaps Sony is right: Board replacement.

Ray

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Reply to

Well they are good for all Sony Licensed sets Now you may have a Sony licensed by RCA or other companies nowadays. Wit the Sony name on it doesn't mean it's a Sony license. Non Sony license sets don't use the Sony CPU where in lies all the codes. Like they won't even flash at all..

Rub comes trying to read the meaning in the codes loss of horizontal could give you a no vertical 4 flash code. Stupid stinking CPUs.

So the point is don't go by the codes.

But Sony's are bad for having power supplies let out the smoke And smoke is what makes them work.Sometimes they let out alot of smoke. My trouble shooting method was to rebuild the power supply first thing. Slowly bring the AC voltage up so not to let the smoke out if there is/was something else wrong, like HOT circuit messed up. Sony's are and still will be the main stays of TV repair. God bless those Sony's May many people buy many more.

Reply to
ray13

ray13 ha escrito: . Sony's are and

glad someone likes 'em! things i hate about sony are the expensive parts, that akb circuit which means that even though the set may be good for a few years more albeit with a tinted pic, on sonys the pic goes totally and you have to generally say not worth repair. and the fact the design means the sets are so fussy , you have to use the original parts not subs.$$$$

-B.

The blink codes are not the same for all Sony sets. Refer to the training manual for each chassis series for the correct diagnostics and the caveats for each. They are simply a starting point and are useful for proceding with troubleshooting, but not a substitute for it.

You might want to check your facts and specify what products you are talking about. What Sony liscenced by RCA have you actually worked on? Since it is nonsense, I am sure that there is not one.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 23378 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

ypu change out your video amp ic on the crt board also the 2.2 ohm resistor in the 200 volt line

Reply to
David Naylor

David, How could something like that make it fail to even -try- to start up? I don't mean to argue with someone trying to help, but only the standby supplies are running... it never gets further than that.

Ray