Fluro light problems

I've got 4 fluros in the carport and one his doing the standard thing of flickering on and off. I've replaced the tube, the starter and the coil inside (ballast?) but it's still exactly the same. The odd thing is if I remove the starter while it's flickering then it will stay on. Does anyone know what the fault might be? I've tried 2 different starters with no luck.

Thanks in advance, Michael

Reply to
Mickel

Mickel Inscribed thus:

Try another starter ! If you look closely you may see that the starter is flickering. Also as the tube ages the voltage across it and the starter rise causing the same effect. Old tubes and old starters are a bad match.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

make shore the starter is the right rating range for the tubes wattage

if the starter is lower than the tubes wattage it may flicker all the time

try a electronic starter.

Reply to
`ZACK`

Make sure the starter matches the tube - for Australian household tubes, (18w and 36w) typically a FS-U is used. You can get these at just about any hardware store, lighting shop, or electricial / electricians supplies for a couple of dollars at most.

If the device is 120v (USA) or 2 tubes in series on 240v (ie: this also means 120v per tube) you MUST use an FS-2 starter (usually have orange writing on case).

Though it seems unlikely, check for wiring errors and also check that the contacts in the ends are making good connection to the tube pins.

Reply to
kreed

Make sure the starter matches the tube - for Australian household tubes, (18w and 36w) typically a FS-U is used. You can get these at just about any hardware store, lighting shop, or electricial / electricians supplies for a couple of dollars at most.

If the device is 120v (USA) or 2 tubes in series on 240v (ie: this also means 120v per tube) you MUST use an FS-2 starter (usually have orange writing on case).

Though it seems unlikely, check for wiring errors and also check that the contacts in the ends are making good connection to the tube pins.

To prove all of this info. Simply swap a starter from anther fitting of the same type of fitting and see what happens. Logic will tell you what is wrong......................

Reply to
Martin

It appears you gentlemen are correct, the starter is the wrong starter (single 110V it says). I moved a starter from another floru and it is all working now. I had tried 2 different new starters but didn't realise they could both be wrong. Oh well, thats $1 down the drain. Thanks for all the replies :-)

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Mickel