Very noisy sound from Magnovox VCR

This is a relatively old VCR. Paid $270 + taxes. Got hit by lightening, paid close to $100 to get it fixed. And it is close to junk now (maybe it is already).

Anyway, it plays very good pictures, but the sound is very noisy. I tried to clean the audio head and it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
blueking

Can you describe how the sound is "noisy"? Is it distorted? Or does it contain a constant "white-noise" type of sound? Do quieter passages sound OK and only louder sounds noisy, or is the noise constant, regardless of the loudness of the program? Is it noisy when you playback prerecorded tapes?

Reply to
Mr. Land

It has constant white-noise. The noise is not from tape. The noise can go louder if turning up the volume. I didn't try a blank tape, but it should have the same noise. That noise blocks most of the sound from the tapes.

Reply to
blueking

What's your electronics repair ability level? Got a schematic?

Er, the volume control of....? Your TV?

Sounds like you've likely got a noisy junction in a transistor or amp IC somewhere in your audio section. Depending on your ability and what equipment you have (and whether or not you have a schematic diagram), it could be easy to find, or a real hassle.

If you've got to pay someone else to repair this for you, unless you're in love with it, I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Mr. Land