Sony VCR sound problem

Hi,

I have a Sony VCR model SLV-EZ8 which is about 6 years old. Its a 6 head hi-fi unit. Recently, the sound on recordings made with the unit, have a strong phasing effect during playback. It seems to be worse until it tracks and at times the phasing is only slight but there is an obvious effect - kind of like what you can achieve with parametric eq. I opened it up and played around with the alignment of what I think is the sound heads and I can make the problem lessen but not disappear unless I screw them down far enough to make the alignment so bad that the signal turns mono. Then the phasing and parametric eq effect TOTALLY disappear. I suppose 'natural' phasing is a stereo effect?

Does this sound like an alignment issue or could the sound heads be worn? Anyone got any suggestions before I fork out the caaaash for a pro to look at it?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Carydakis.

Reply to
Stephan Carydakis

Turn off the mix mode you are listening to the linear and Hi Fi tracks at the same time. John.

Reply to
John

Thanks John. Some one's been pressing buttons - maybe the dog. That fixed the problem. Now I just have to realign the sound heads for a nice sound!

Reply to
Stephan Carydakis

tracks at

Stephan Carydakis wrote:

fixed

sound

(top posting corrected)

I hope you haven't violated rule 1: Never twiddle *anything* without first marking the original position!!

-Ben