No sound from VCR

I've got a cheapie Memorex VCR that I bought brand new a few years ago and the sound recently went out on it. Being an amateur electronics hobbyist I was wondering how difficult it might be to attempt to fix this problem. It would be easy just to ditch it and get a new one but where would the fun be in that? LOL! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

Danny Hoskins

ago

a few things to check:

-if a stereo machine, play a prerecorded tape check the audio select, see if it picks up hifi audio as well as linear

-check the A/c head is clean

-reseat connectors

-check audio output via AV and RF jacks try recording , do you get sound then? and if you play your recordings on another vcr is there audio??

-Ben