NEC 6 head HiFi VCR

Any suggestions appreciated: NEC VCR 6 head Hi Fi: VH-602. The model number probably only applies to the Oceania region. We do not have FCC numbers!

The sound is ok, the picture is b/w and very snowy (as if it needs a head clean) and also exhibits tracking faults. I've tried to attend to both these areas, with no success. Tapes recorded on different machines give the same result. If I record a tape on the machine, I still get the same result on playback. The strange thing however, is that the recorded tape will play OK on a different machine. Weird!

Couple of more things; the real time counter does not work. I've been told that it never did (doubtful). This was not an intermittent fault. One day fine: the next day problem.

I have also cleaned the audio/control head.

Suggestions welcome.

Ray S.

Reply to
Raymond Smith

number

numbers!

head

both

give the

playback.

I repaired an NEC vcr (2 head mono though) about 4 months back where there were weird things happening to the playback pic. Turned out to be a secondary board mounted on the right hand side of the machine, the luma/chroma/signal processing section, had loose connections where it joined the mainboard. You may want to try gentle prodding about and see what gives.

Possibly borderline caps in the head amp also? although that seems altogether less likely. Ben

be

see

The problem is the video head. The heads are almost gone. The signal recorded is weak. It plays back on another machine as the heads on the other machine can pick up the signal whereas the NEC machine cannot.

Reply to
Dunno