siersmak

Have you ever fixed a switch mode power supply? Have you every fixed any electronic component or device?

--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Ken: "everything looks fine" ..... bad parts don't always burn up and look bad... they need to be tested and replaced by a tech who has the correct test equipment and know how to troubleshoot... The symptoms you reported are common, especially after power outages and storms... and either are easy and economical to repair or sometimes not worth fixing but the only way to know is to take it to a repair shop.... my shop does these types of repairs all the time and in about 8 out of 10 times the repair is economically feasible. So, don't toss it until a tech looks at it... since knowledge, time and parts are not free there may be a charge for an estimate without a follow-up repair... or if you have it repaired, any diagnostic deposit you may be charged would apply to the repair invoice. Check with the local repair shops in your area. Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

- - - - - - -

Reply to
Sofie

Thanks for the advice Daniel.

-Ken

Reply to
siersmak

if you know what you're doing, change the low volt capacitors in the power supply as these are the probable cause of what you describe - very common.

-B

Common when the unit is exposed to a brownout?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I'd go check that zener diode in the power supply that always shorts and the IC protector attached to it

Reply to
nipperchipper

Pull the power cord and leave it off for 24 hours. That won't cost anything and sometimes works.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

If you have a multimeter, soldering iron, and the inclination to learn a few things you can probably fix this, but you'll have to get in and take some measurements. Bad parts usually look just fine.

Reply to
James Sweet