Toshiba TV won't turn on after power outage

The weather was beautiful all day -- just the typical Pacific Gas and Electric service interruption, so it's hard to figure how it could have been zapped with a surge. Something squeals when the set is plugged into the power strip, but that's the only response.

Any ideas where to start?

Is there likely to be a reset button or blown fuse? It's a Toshiba

27AF43, if that's any help.
Reply to
spamtrap1888

Can't help regarding repairing it, but you could try to find out from Pacific Gas and Electric why the interruption occurred. Surges don't necessarily come from lightening. For example having a high voltage cable break and land on a lower voltage cable could cause one.

Whether you'd have any redress against the power company if it turns out there was a surge would depend on your jurisdiction.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Surges can't come from LIGHTENING, that's what happened to Michael Jackson's face. Surges can come from LIGHTNING.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A good thought.

My local TV repair thinks the high voltage section may be damaged, but won't speculate as to the cost of repair until I bring in this 90 lb set and pay a $25 estimate fee.

I found a service manual online that I didn't have to sign my life away to download. There is a fuse, but it is in series with a 1.5meg resistor across the AC input. I measure the ohmmage across the power cord and voila! 1.47 megohms or so. So the fuse is not blown.

Can anyone agree that there must be something wrong with the high voltage, and speculate how extensive/expensive fixing it might be?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

If the "power strip" mentioned is a battery-powered, uninterrupted power supply (UPS) with surge protection, it may have tripped on the brief service interruption and not properly returned to AC Line power. The squeal may be an alarm that the battery is too weak to provide enough power.

Just a thought, since this has been happening to my UPS. Scott

Reply to
Scott

Oh, give it a rest.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The squeal is probably coming from the switched power supply with a dead short at one of its outputs. Probably a shorted horizontal output transistor. What caused this transistor to short can be anything from a broken solder connection, or an open electrolytic or hv capacitor, to a shoted yoke or ho transformer. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

ut

May God bless you Chuck, and your posterity.

Reply to
spamtrap1888