GE 27" TV won't turn on

General Electric 27" television Service #: 27GT610FE1 Model #: 27GT610 Chassis #: CTC167R

This was working fine, but now it won't turn on. When the power button = is pressed, it clicks repeatedly like it is trying to turn on. This = continues until the button is pressed again.

What could cause this?

Reply to
SR

pressed, it clicks repeatedly like it is trying to turn on. This continues until the button is pressed again.

I'd check to see if the horizontal output transistor is shorted, could also be a shorted diode in the output side of the power supply or possibly something shorted elsewhere in the set. Sounds like the power supply is trying to come up repeatedly but shutting down when it detects an overload.

Reply to
James Sweet

"SR" wrote in news:3_2Kg.4626$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The TV set is broken and need to be repaired or replaced. I am not being a smart ass or anything like that but a problem like that could be anything. A shorted horizontal output transistor and if so, why is it shorted? Bad flyback transformer? (A flyback transformer is expensive and not uncommon to be in need of replacement.) Do all the tuner grounds all need to be resoldered and the EEPROM replaced?

As you can see from the above two links, the set is rather complicated for someone with no electronics background or television repair experience. Since a 27" television like the one you own can be bought for less than $200 new, is it worth trying to fix the one you have or just get a new one? I would assume that you have no electronics background and television experience based on your question and if that is the case, you would have to get someone to fix it for you. Either bring it to the shop or back and forth with a million questions to the newsgroup, trying different things, replacing parts, and who knows, maybe you will get it fixed that way, but is it worth it?

I have a lot of television repair experience and there is no "quick and common" answer to this question. If you were looking for something like "Oh yeah, I know that set. Just replace Q41101 with a common ECG225 and you will be all set." or "Oh sure, on that model, you solder the transformer secondary connections and that will fix you right up!", it ain't gonna happen. The set is broken and needs to be repaired or replaced. Not worth putting a lot of money into and any shop will want at least a hundred dollars to do any work on it and most likely more than that. Do you want to spend $175 on that set or just go buy a new one on sale for $145?

--
~Ohmster
Reply to

Or get a free one and save it from the waste stream.

or

Homer J Simpson

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in news:4mZKg.8387$Hr1.6217 @clgrps12:

Interesting, thanks for the links.

--
~Ohmster
Reply to

button is pressed, it clicks repeatedly like it is trying to turn on. = This continues until the button is pressed again.

detects=20

Bad B+ filter capacitor.

Works fine now.

Reply to