VCR/LCD incompatibility puzzle...

I have a strange predicament...

I recently bought a Syntax Olevia 37-inch LCD HDTV (LT37HVS). When I hook up my Panasonic VCR via composite inputs, the TV cannot detect the VCR ("no signal detected"). The particularly strange thing is that if I use the TV's Picture-in-Picture function, the VCR works, but only in the small PIP frame. When I try to switch it to the bigger frame, it goes blank and says "no signal detected" again.

I know that the TV's composite inputs work because when I hook up my DVD player to them it works fine. I also know that the VCR works because it was fine on my former 32-inch CRT tv. The VCR only has composite outputs, so I can't try another type of connection.

I called Syntax tech support and they had no answer other than, "it sounds like that VCR is incompatible with our tv."

Does anyone have a more specific idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

noemailplease

Interesting. Could it be that your TV is particularly susceptible to Macrovision signals on the tapes? Does this happen with your own recordings or just pre-precorded factory tapes or both? Connect a different VCR and see if that one works with this TV using the same tape(s) in question.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Interesting. Could it be that your TV is particularly susceptible to Macrovision signals on the tapes? Does this happen with your own recordings or just pre-precorded factory tapes or both? Connect a different VCR and see if that one works with this TV using the same tape(s) in question.

Maybe something in the on screen menu that needs changing.

Reply to
oldfogie

Just for the heck of it, try rf out from the vcr and see what happens?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yabbut, the OP said, "The VCR only has composite outputs, so I can't try another type of connection." If it really has no RF out, it sounds more like a VCP than a VCR. Perhaps the OP meant it doesn't have S-video or component outs but does have RF out.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Or maybe the OP is considering the RF output "composite".

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

--------------------

Sorry-- I wasn't clear. It does have RF out. I'll give that a try.

Mike

Reply to
noemailplease

Tried the RF connection-- same problem. Then I tried a different VCR-- same problem. Why would a tv work with a dvd player but not with a vcr using the same connections? This seems to be the crux of the problem... Any ideas?

Mike

Reply to
noemailplease

Hi Mike...

Don't know your tv, never seen one nor even heard the name, so can't help much, but one thought does come to mind...

Seeing that you can see your vcr in the pip box, but not large, is it possible that it's related to ratio? (16/9, 3/4) Perhaps the tv has a menu item that switches?

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Best case scenario: Ken is right and this is operator error Worst case scenario: you have a defective TV

I checked the owner's manual for this model. The relevant pages start at page 47. Try setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 and the "view" mode to "OFF" (i.e., not PIP or Split). Set "Pic1" AND "Pic2" to "AV1" source mode -- and, of course, have the VCR connected to the Video1 inputs. If you still get the same results as before, try setting view mode to "Split" and see if you get half the screen showing the VCR video.

If the above doesn't work and you bought the TV locally, take your VCR to the place of TV purchase and have a salesman demonstrate that your VCR does work with this model TV. Pay close attention to how s/he sets up the TV so u can duplicate it at home.

Or.. if you got this via mail order, call Syntax tech support. If you can't get it to work despite these efforts, at least it's under warranty (I presume), so you can either exchange it or have it repaired free of charge.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the TV might be defaulting to PIP when it has trouble determining the proper resolution/scaling and mode switching -- e.g., progressive scan (if this is what your DVD player uses) vs. interlaced (your VCR). Since the TV should automatically adjust itself for this, one would suspect the TV is defective.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Syntax Olevia ????? This sounds like the lowest price thing on the shelf . Take it back and get someting like Sharp , JVC , Panasonic .

Reply to
Ken G.

I had a similar but not as severe problem with a Samsung DLP set 2 years ago. The Samsung doesn't handle non time-base corrected (VHS) video well. This showed up as bad color lock in the top 1/3 of the frame. I also bought (and returned) a Panasonic deck which was no better than the deck IT replaced. After I bought a JVC S-VHS deck with a TBC ( trade name 'Digi-Pure') it settled right down. The DVD has no time base issues since it is essentially based on a TBC (memory storage).

Glenn Gundlach

Reply to
stratus46

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com a =E9crit :

I am having exactly the same problem -- but only with some tapes. How can a VCR be incompatible. Did you get any resolution to the problem?

Reply to
upmanulall

Reply to
noemailplease