RTV silicone good as gasket for TV's ?

Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ? My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one. Thanks

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite

Do the job right and get the gasket..

Reply to
kip

It might work for a while, but having done a few of these jobs I can say it's something I'd much rather not repeat, it's worth it to buy the right parts so you don't have to tear it apart and start over.

Reply to
James Sweet

You'd be best off using the right gasket materials. If not, and it leaks, the repair is going to be much more expensive!

--

JANA _____

moonlite

Reply to
JANA

Read the label on RTV very carefully - not inert. I would not want some of the out gassing in a proj TV.

gb

Reply to
gb

I think some form of copper is used in the high temp stuff. Regular rtv goes up to 400 degrees F anyway. Permatex makes that blue rtv gasket stuff, guareented not to leak. Ultrablue. This stuff is also electronic grade or sensor safe.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Sony did make some projection CRTs in the 80's that were sealed with RTV instead of a gasket and screws. The seals never leaked, but they were a nightmare to disassemble to change the fluid. After cleaning I reassembled them with regular RTV and, as far as I know, none ever leaked. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe