Pronunciation Puzzle

Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada ^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin, wouldn't you think? ...Jim Thompson

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're right. But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly. For example, Ausable Chasm in New York. People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

Reply to
Michael Robinson

;-)

BTW, If you're ever in the area of Pascagoula, MS, and ask for directions to "pass-CAG-yu-la" you stand a good chance of getting beat up. ;-)

(It's pass-kuh-GOO-la.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My mother said one of the funniest things she ever heard was a northeastern news broadcaster trying to pronounce Nacogdoches.

Reply to
flipper

Skew it: "never-Da". Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..

Reply to
Robert Baer

...how about "our sable"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
That's right up there with Mexia.
Reply to

?

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Well, CNN headquarters is based in Atlanta, part of the deep south. So, their political reports would be my guess.

Or see George Bush Sr. (generally, "Saddam") Or see George Bush Jr. (generally, "nuclear", among many others!)

Reply to
mpm

Can any of you pronounce "Canyon de Chelly", a prominent location in Arizona? ...Jim Thompson

     I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)

Imagine changing the name of a whole freakin' planet because of the fear that a few pubescent boys will giggle.

And, as you note, "Urine-Us" isn't that much better.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

in

you're

correctly.

which

I think Chelly is pronounced Shay.

Michael Robinson

Yabbut, at least that one's fun to misprouounce! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You mean the Navajo pronunciation, the Spanish 'translation', or good ole American?

The problem with pronunciations is "The King's English" itself is a mongrel language that's compounded 10 fold in American English by influences from a multitude of Native American tribes and "melting pot" immigration distorting both sound and spelling.

Take a Navajo word translated by the Spanish who, for some unknown reason, decided to spell it 'frenchy', and you're bound to have some confusion since not a single one of those origins conforms to English which, as mentioned, is already riddled with 'exceptions to the rules'.

Reply to
flipper

You should hear the touristas mangle 'Kissimmee'.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How 'bout "Coeur d'Alene"

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Thanks pure French, so no problem.

Canyon de Chelly == "Canyon duh Shay" ...Jim Thompson

     I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)

That is what i said..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I've heard "Curdylene".

I've heard "Boise" pronounced the French way :-)

Well, it is Idaho ;-)

Hauppauge, and Poughkeepsie cause problems for some.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

--
It's much more than that, it's that our ancestors were confused as to
what was right and what was wrong, having broken away from both

They then gave them the power to tell us what was right and what was
wrong, and here we are.
Reply to
John Fields

Wow. Lord only knows how you came up with that fantasy.

Reply to
flipper