UK electronics bits/ junk shops?

[snip]

Hi Dave,

Are you the same DaveC on Yahoo Tek groups? If so, here's the manual you were looking for:

Jay

Reply to
JW

Don't local radio ham clubs often have a young members section for hands on tinkering as well as radio procedure?. Probably clobbered by paedo paranoia over the last few years

Reply to
N_Cook

ny

UK

ttp://

About 10 years ago, I used to often visit the Anchor surplus store at nottingham. Great days....no idea if they still exist.

Google Street View says yes:

Website is

but there's bugger all on it.

Farnell's trade counter on the Maybrook industrial estate in Leeds is usually worth a look if you're in the area. They have a "Bargain Bin" table next to the sales counter -- I managed to pick up a pair of ex-demo Instek digital bench power supplies for about £30 a piece (RRP is about

10x that). One needed the power section resoldering, the other needed a new set of binding posts (which Instek were more than happy to provide). I've also had storage boxes, components (bags and bags of HP high- brightness LEDs, and so on).

M&B Radio used to be pretty good too. Used to be under the Dark Arches (Swinegate) under the train station, but that shop closed ages ago. Apparently they've reopened in Addingham, but the website () is basically useless (read: filled with placeholder data!)

--
Phil.
usenet10@philpem.me.uk

The Dover and Canvey Island rallies I've been to recently both did. (I now have all the 1960s transistors I could ever possibly want, among various other interesting junk!)

--
Adam Sampson
Reply to

Could be - but despite a life long interest in electronics, ham radio leaves me cold.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+Ltd&hnear=&ll=51.362576,-0.185477&spn=0,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=51.362576,-0.185477&panoid=hhapRgOVeYXWPIE_rKAGIw&cbp=12,130.76,,0,6.75>

Good to know they still exist. The shop was a fairly minor part of the business, I guess. They were great at getting small quantities of obsolete ICs etc, I found. Unlike when you Google and find a minimum quantity of

10,000 ...
--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+Ltd&hnear=&ll=51.362576,-0.185477&spn=0,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=51.3 62576,-0.185477&panoid=hhapRgOVeYXWPIE_rKAGIw&cbp=12,130.76,,0,6.75>

RS/ Hedge End depot Hampshire only has a subset of the main lines around the counter area , no end of lines, returns etc.

Reply to
N_Cook

There never seems to be any midwinter carboot radio rallies in the south and I looked into hiring a covered market site for a Sunday mid winter but insurance was prohibitive. I asked an organiser of one of the best south coast rallies Wimborne Flight Refuelling why no longer any bring and buy. He said insurance was now required . About the same time Longleat bring and buy stopped.

Reply to
N_Cook

For you and me, yes.

USENET is worldwide and there are lots of "South Bay" areas that aren't ours.

Another opportunity. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Yes, it was. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The main one I religiously visit each year is the Dunstable Downs Radio Club car boot sale in Stockley Park, Luton. It happened last month but keep a watch on this website for the next, 2011!

There is a new Rally, at the National Code Centre, Bletchley Park, Milton Keynes on Sunday 29th August, that might be worth a visit.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

I mentioned local Forum Stores before, which closed ten or more years ago leaving the kitting of school electronic projects and school talks/ great egg race type events of the educational trust side of the Southern Science & Technology Forum and now that seems to have expired about 2002. I asked of the nearby to me the Itchen Valley ham radio club and they have a young members section although nothing specific about it on their website. Perhaps from a sample of 1 a number of such clubs still have a supervised electronic/radio section for youngsters.

I will ask an electronics bod I know ,involved with school governers locally, and see what he knows about hands-on electronics/ practical side of CDT or whatever they call it now, in schools these days

Reply to
N_Cook