UK Electronics publication

I've moved jobs a year or so ago and working from home. I've lost touch of the best magazines for electronic design engineers. Can someone recommend a few?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fred

Electronics World is my particular favourite. Well worth a look at.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to

Many thanks.

Fred

All the free ones are available via the Web: Electronics Weekly, EDN, EE Times, etc.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

I'm an embedded software guy, so what works for me might not work for you. I am also not sure where you're posting from, which can have some influence. However:

I like Electronic Design Europe. I used to much prefer the US edition, but they decided to stop doing subs for that in the UK so we now get a rather thinner magazine :(

I find IEE Review and IEEE Spectrum are good overviews of what's going on round the industry generally, although Spectrum's getting a bit political/ecological tan teechnological these days.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to

In any case, EW has gone seriously downhill in the last few years, and is now filled with readers' letters, circuit "ideas" and pseudoscience. I cancelled my order with the newsagent a few months ago.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Indeed even I had 4 letters published and a circuit (aug 2004) over the last year or so. "I wouldn't belong to a club that allowed me as a member:-)

EW is really off the deep end now. It puts complete and utter nonsense as main feature articles. i.e. the one about electro-gravity. It was so out to lunch that is was pointless complaining.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I used to like Elektor Electronics, but the non release of prpohram code is annoying.

I have a subscription to circuilt cellar in the US.

It is excellent, has nice projects and keeps upto date on new releases.

In addition, even including overseas poistage costs, it still works oout at £30 for the year, and ideal christmas 'Gift'.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Crabtree

It keeps getting skinnier too. It's available at the newstands here, but at C$11 plus tax per issue, I tend to just leaf through it. Since they stopped people from going into the bookstore coffee shop with unpaid for magazines, I read a lot less of it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Is it still around ?

I cancelled my subscription about the time they changed the name from Wireless World to Electronics World :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Just at the time when the new radio technologies for data transmissions between devices was being called 'wireless'.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Just don't try building projects from their circuit diagrams if you expect them to work as described... Maybe in these days of CAD and net lists it has improved in that respect at least. But it is pretty much like a comic now.

Be fair. Even in the 70's it's predecessor WW required the editor to not believe in relativity and published plenty of lunatic fringe electronic engineers against Einstein articles. To that extent little has changed they have just gone even further into wacky pseudo science. Unclear to me how that it helps to sell the magazine or maintain its once fine reputation.

Aimed mainly at hobby electronics folk EPE from Wimborne press sometimes has interesting articles in it, worth browsing in the newsagent to see if it is a good one or not. Their article on the rebuilding of the Turing Bombe and Colossus for the history of computing was excellent.

Elector sometimes has interesting articles too. YMMV

Regards,

--
Martin Brown
Reply to

[clip]

You're missing out!. I found this months issue worth it, for the articles by Cyril Bateman and Ian Hickman. I'd also think that most magazines couldn't survive without their circuit ideas sections. (I think EDN even admit it somewhere on their website.) But, I agree many of the "ideas" that turn up are really grade #1, naff).

regards john

Reply to
john jardine

I read in sci.electronics.design that Martin Brown wrote (in ) about 'UK Electronics publication', on Thu, 16 Sep 2004:

But it's 90% PIC still, isn't it?

John Woodgate

What happened to ETI ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Occasionally EPE does seem to have some reasonable articles and projects, but yes it is very PIC-centric. Some of the projects are a bit too basic ( PIC powered egg timer et al ). Elektor Electronics has better projects and a better spread of micros.

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

In message , John Woodgate writes

More like 50%. But despite their popular home constructor target audience they still have occasional excellent review and constructional articles - the last one that stands out for me was a nice design for a very sensitive data logging seismograph. I expect it used a PIC somewhere.

Regards,

--
Martin Brown
Reply to