Marrantz sr 4003 goes into protection

Hi there,

I've got a marrantz SR 4003 at home, which seems to go easyly into protection mode.

First the setup:

- Marrantz SR 4003

- Jamo S606 HCS (5.0 setup), columns have passive "sub"

- no active sub

- optical input, raw dts soundtrack sent to the device

When watching movies on this setup I found that without an active sub basses were a little weak, so I pushed the bass to the max (+6dB IRC). I was watching a movie at -30dB (not that much on a range of -81/+15), and at a point where there was quite some bass, the marrantz went into protection mode. From the documentation, there are 2 different protection modes, this one (8 flash per second) being the one where you're supposed to bring back the hardware to the store for repair.

This is what I did, but curious as to know if the issue was solved, I tried the exact same setup when it came back from the store... and the same thing happened.

Now it's once again back from repair, but I'm not very keen on trying out yet again without knowing how to reset the protection by myself. Warranty runs out soon, and I don't really want to bring it back to and wait the 3 weeks they take to send it back and forth to the proper repair place.

So here I go with the questions:

1/ Does anyone know the get out of protection mode procedure for this model ? Is it some kind of switch to reset or fuse to change, or is it a more complex procedure ?

2/ Any idea why this happens ? My Jamo are 6ohms, but the SR4003 is supposed to support it (as 6ohms output power is provided in the specifications). I listened to music or watched movies without any problem prior to this, even quite loud.

Any help is welcome :)

--
bleader
Reply to

don't overload the amp. From what I can tell, it's rated 80watts per channel into 8 ohms. The spec sheets shows 6-8 ohm is acceptable, and you have 6 ohm speakers. Driving the bass up will either burn it out or send into protection mode.

I've not ripped the amp apart so I can tell you how it's reset or fixed. Running the bass turned up into all the channels will draw quite a bit of power, as it's pretty close to just passing DC into the speaker, and the current draw can be pretty high. Years ago they'd just put a fuse on the rear you could replace yourself. Easy "service" and "repairable" are a forgotten concepts these days though.

see above. turn the bass down, get a separate speaker or get a giant amp.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Hi!

You shouldn't do that. If you want more bass, get a separately powered subwoofer unit and use that.

The power amplifier in your Marantz unit probably isn't built to take that kind of stress repeatedly, and the fact that the protection kicks in is trying to tell you that, before something blows up permanently. I doubt there is any lasting damage taking place, just the logic in the unit is locking out normal operations until the protection circuit is reset.

The service manual would probably tell you how to reset the protection. It's likely that there is a hidden service menu or keypress combination. Seriously, though, DO NOT just reset the unit every time it trips out.

No, but even if you find out, you should stop doing what you are doing. The unit is trying to tell you that it can't keep up with what you're asking it to do. You either need a beefier amplifier or a dedicated and separately powered subwoofer.

Yes. You are exceeding the safe operating limits for the amplifier. More bass output puts more demand on the circuitry, and it's probably just too much for the unit to handle safely. So rather than potentially ruining your speakers, it's just shutting down.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

6 ohms is pushing it with the volume up and bass cranked. Get an active sub and you'll notice a cleaner overall sound and no protection activation at higher volumes levels.
Reply to
Meat Plow