UK electronics bits/ junk shops?

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any more GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone. Budgie / Kaytronic Southampton is still there but other than what is in the window I don't know what he has, I don't think he does either. Anyone know of any shops or even regular market stalls anywhere in the UK still (my interest got started with a regular market pitch with electornic surplus when a little kid). Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year , around the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

Reply to
N_Cook

Is Bardwells in Sheffield any use?

Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Thompson

Is it internet/post only? I'm just trying to discover if there is any shop-type outlets anywhere in the UK

Bull is still going, Brighton way

but no shop. Was it them or another outlet , a shop, somewhere between Hove and Portland , Sussex ?

Remembered another one local to me gone Afflecks , Shirley Southampton

Reply to
N_Cook

Dunno if they are still on the go, but their shop was always worth a rummage around. Lots of bargain bins. ;-)

Semiconductor Supplies International Ltd Dawson House

128/130 Carshalton Road Sutton Surrey SM1 4TW 020 8643 1126
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Roughly that area there used to be such a shop on the road between Kingston and Surbiton , not far from what is now Kingston University. Last time I went in there it was current computer stuff only though.

There used to be a shop in a residential part of Bournemouth , but could not find it when I was last in that area.

Reply to
N_Cook

On 6/9/2010 1:13 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon Valley. I've seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek & Halted: gone. Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its former greatness. I'm sure other folks here can name many others that are RIP.

In many places the only electronics to be obtained are at [cough] Radio Shack ...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara, not far from Halted:

Jameco is a mailorder supplier in Belmont, just off of 101, that has a will-call counter where you can pick up and/or place orders:

Fry's, who are responsible for the closure of many of those small electronics suppliers, isn't worth mentioning. Other than when I do visit, the one thing I want is out of stock. They have no intelligent stocking procedure: both high-demand and low-demand items are equally stocked. Guess which shelf space is always empty? Brain-dead management.

Reply to
DaveC

On Jun 9, 9:13=A0am, "N_Cook" wrote:. Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year , around

This month is the BVWS Harpenden Auction and 'garden party' of the vintage wireless museum. Last month was the NVCF near Rugby....quite a few simialr events thru the year.

-B

Then he should have asked on a UK only newsgroup.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On 6/9/2010 11:41 AM DaveC spake thus:

Huh; didn't know they were still around. I used to go to their store when they were in Mountain View, but that was a long time ago.

Forgot about Jameco. Since I used to work in Belmont I used to stop by there from time to time. Nice to be able to pick stuff up.

And of course here in the East Bay we have Al Lasher's Electronics in Bezerkeley. Great old-time store.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oooooh Cool! Thanks.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

South San Francisco Bay Area

Great store! (Mind the hyphen.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You mean Haltek? They've been gone a long time.

I first visited them when their store was off Sterlin Rd. in Mountain View. (Since renamed N. Shoreline Blvd.)

You never knew what would be hanging from the ceiling. Sometimes a PV array from a satellite. One time a drone plane.

Lots of fun!

Real old old timers will recall Olsen Electronics in Santa Clara and Weatherbee Industrial Electronics, Peninsula Electronics, Alco ...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On 6/9/2010 10:44 PM Winston spake thus:

AKA "South Bay"

San Mateo still has a decent electronics outlet:

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 6/9/2010 10:51 PM Winston spake thus:

Ah, so, you're right.

Ackshooly, that's Stierlin Rd. I remember that. (Used to work on Industrial Wy. in Palo Alto, near the former Ford Aerospace plant, since sold to Sun, a short walk from Mt. View.)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Potts, Derby.

But again nothing like what they were.

Shop near station in Borehamwood packed up and went south west 15-20 years ago.

Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been pushed for last 30-40 years?

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hill

This month is the BVWS Harpenden Auction and 'garden party' of the vintage wireless museum. Last month was the NVCF near Rugby....quite a few simialr events thru the year.

-B

&&&&&&&&

The RSGB site has perhaps a full rally list for the year

Radio rallies held at horse racing grandstands tend not to have car boot sections. Generally content is about 1/3 radio stuff,1/3 general electronics ,1/3 computer stuff I will probably go to the Newbury one next week

20 JUNE NEWBURY RADIO RALLY AND BOOT SALE - Newbury Showground, next to M4 J13. Big display area of amateur radio stations, exhibitions, special groups, clubs and societies. . Sellers have access from 8am and pitches cost £10.
Reply to
N_Cook

the

electornic

around

Radio rallies no longer have "bring and buy" sections , killed off by site owners/runners demanding they should have insurance cover should someone electrocute themselves - hundreds of squid for one-off events , so no more

Reply to
N_Cook

the

electornic

around

The US-centric sub-thread mentioned Anchor and reminded me of Nottingham

I only ever see at radio rallies- do they have a shop type base?

Reply to
N_Cook

I've wondered about that. I asked a teacher at the local large school if they had an after school electronics construction club - we had at the school I went to. And the answer was no. Computer ones, though. It also seems odd to me that many computer whizz kids wouldn't know how to change a faulty hard drive on a desktop.

I suppose when I was a kid you could save some money by building a radio etc. Not so now.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *