Techwood PLR85 Receiver

Hi,

A friend of mine at work has a Techwood PLR85 Home Theater Receiver. He recently had a party, and had a couple speakers outside, connected to the receiver (indoors). A sudden rain shower got the speakers (not the receiver) wet outside, and since then, whenever he tries to power on the receiver, after the "WELCOME" message scrolls by, a "PROTECT" message appears on the display. There is a connector to what I believe is the PA board, and when that connector is disconnected, the unit powers up without the "PROTECT" message.

Anyone have any kind of information on this unit? I'm trying to help this guy out, but I'm not familiar with this brand, and have no schematics.

Tia,

Bill

Reply to
Darmok

The output stage is damaged. More than likely some output transistors, drivers, and some support components are damaged.

Your friend should send the receiver to a service centre to have it checked. Considering that it is not a big name brand, the service tech may have difficulty to purchase the service manual and any proprietary parts if required.

--

Jerry G. ======

A friend of mine at work has a Techwood PLR85 Home Theater Receiver. He recently had a party, and had a couple speakers outside, connected to the receiver (indoors). A sudden rain shower got the speakers (not the receiver) wet outside, and since then, whenever he tries to power on the receiver, after the "WELCOME" message scrolls by, a "PROTECT" message appears on the display. There is a connector to what I believe is the PA board, and when that connector is disconnected, the unit powers up without the "PROTECT" message.

Anyone have any kind of information on this unit? I'm trying to help this guy out, but I'm not familiar with this brand, and have no schematics.

Tia,

Bill

Reply to
Jerry G.

Try hooking up another set of speakers to see if they work. If they do then I suspect his other speaker(s) are still wet causing the receiver to sense them as shorted and going into a protect mode of some sort. Let those speakers dry out throughly (days maybe). Don't know if they'd be worth a crap even if they do dry out but what the heck. Rush

Reply to
rush14

Well, thee are NO speakers hooked up when he gets the "PROTECT" message, so it can't be the speakers. I'm thinking that either one or more of the 8 output devices 'went south', or else a 'sense circuit' did. Of course, I have no schematics, so I don't know if there even is a sense circuit, or where the fault/protection circuit is. Welton Techwood have a Suite in Dallas, Texas, and a toll free number, but a short menu that's limited to warranty and info requests. Don't know if there is anyone "live" there who could steer me in the right direction.

Reply to
Darmok