Sansui Receiver- Noise at shutdown

I have a Sansui R-7 receiver which works fine except that when the power is turned off there is usually a fairly loud click from the speakers. Does not seem to be loud enough to harm the speakers, but certainly annoying, and not at all what I would consider normal.

This is a low to mid power receiver which I'm guessing is from the late

80's. It is an instant-on unit with no relays. There was a place for a capacitor accross the power switch, but none was ever installed. I added a .01 disc there, but that did not help. Following wires from the line cord thru the switch to the power transformer, I do not see any other line conditioning or surge suppression. I can't believe it always had this problem. Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Probably not much you can do except switch off the speakers before you turn the unit off.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

The easiest way to fix this, is to switch off the speakers before turning the set on. If you are innovative enough, you an design and build a relay circuit using a turn on time delay circuit. The speaker path can be through the relay contacts. This way, when you turn the set on, the relay can have a 2 or 3 second delay.

--

Jerry G.

This is a low to mid power receiver which I'm guessing is from the late

80's. It is an instant-on unit with no relays. There was a place for a capacitor accross the power switch, but none was ever installed. I added a .01 disc there, but that did not help. Following wires from the line cord thru the switch to the power transformer, I do not see any other line conditioning or surge suppression. I can't believe it always had this problem. Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Jerry G.

Ahhhh! Hrrrmm! the OP has the prob with shutdown so some mod to the cct would be required I imagine.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

Both replies indicate that this is normal operation, not a defect. I find that hard to believe. If bought new and it had this problem, I think that most people would take it back for a refund.

Anyway, I thank those who took the time to reply.

(BTW Jerry, since it happens at shutdown, not startup, I would need to add an anticipation circuit, not a delay circuit ;-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

FWIW, I have a mid 80's Realistic reciever. I was looking through the service manual and noticed that the amplifier IC has a delay feature built into the chip itself. Perhaps it is possible that this type of circuit could go bad, but the amplifer would keep operating? Just a thought.

Reply to
Michael Ware