SONY 'S' Mech VCR Tape jumps out..?

My Local service shop and passed employer can't seem to find what is wrong with this Sony VCR, its the Model SLV - EZ70 that uses the 'S' mech.

When ejecting the Tape it sort of jumps out and some times lands on the floor.

They did find a small piece of white plastic inside but can't find ware it came from

about 3/4"-20mm long and some 1/8" -3mm wide, has a small single tooth one side, like a ratchet tooth..

Any clues..

Thanks

Reply to
Brian Mathews

The load basket is mistimed, but given the broken piece found inside - may need to be replaced.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Its just came back from the Local Sony repair shop and they can't find out what is wrong and also where the bit of plastic came from, found underneath the Mech on top of the PCB..

They did not have a similar model to compare it with.

Reply to
Brian Mathews

They may just not have someone familiar enough with these. I've also would up with a tape in my lap from one of these, so I'm pretty sure of my facts. There were various Sony models which suffered from this and similar load basket issues.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

If you brought your tape machine to an authorized service shop employing properly trained technicians, they should have the service information and skills to properly service it!

Normaly, with these VCR's we used to replace the complete tape loader, also known as the elevator. We also replaced the pinch roller, belts, and cleaning sponge at the same time. These use Teflon gears and parts. They can wear out of specs over time with use especially when the lubricants dry up from age.

Generally speaking, parts for your VCR are getting scarce. I would not be surprised if original parts are no longer available.

I would suggest replacing the VCR with a combination DVD/VCR, and transferring your tapes to DVD's. In short time, VHS tapes will be very difficult to find.

--

JANA _____

Its just came back from the Local Sony repair shop and they can't find out what is wrong and also where the bit of plastic came from, found underneath the Mech on top of the PCB..

They did not have a similar model to compare it with.

Reply to
JANA

this Sony VCR, its

I'v read the thread. It sounds like a toughy.

I would take a thin piece of wood or metal, probably bigger in one dimension than the vcr itself, put it under the vcr so that it sticks out in front of it and catches the tape.

You can tell friends that you modified the machine to better eject the tape.

from

side, like a ratchet

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

blimey. talk about the shotgun approach! I'd hate to be one of your customers with one of them! ;-) and as for those stupid head cleaner sponge pads , you'd do more of a service by yanking the damn things out!

Maybe where you are, but i have no problems in Europe ordering many parts like belts idlers etc. It's not that bad just yet.

Again, I hardly think this catastrophic vision need concern us too much, with the millions of tapes and machines around, there'll be lots for decades to come. And as for recommending a dvd-vcr combo - uuughhhh...scourge of the junk consumer electronics field!

I have tapes which have survived close on 3 decades and optical media which is unrecoverable, so personally i wouldn't recommend dvd for archiving. it is too unreliable.

-B

Yes and Pay 10 times for the Service you are joking, no this in NZ and it lacks most thing like that.

What all Five VCR's no thanks, the Cost here for DVD recorders is some 10 to 15 times the price of a VCR recorder.

Reply to
Brian Mathews