Sony Walkman + Sony VCR Repair Questions

  1. My Sony VCR (SLV-798Hf) started eating and damaging my tapes when rewinding. Does it sound like some kind of problem I would be able to fix at home. I'm not a stranger to electronics but never repaired a VCR before. What type of problem would you say it is and what kind of tools would I need to fix it. Or does it sound like I would be better off taking my VCR to a repair shop.

  1. My Sony Casette-Corder (WM-GX670) wasn't recording for the longest time. When play or record button was pressed it would just crunch for a few seconds and then stop. I opened it up and right where the contacts for the play button is located there was a lot of yellowish goo. I cleaned it out with a precision screwdriver and now it seems to be playing without a problem. I'm glad I solved the problem but just wondering what that goo was. Can't be dirt, maybe some component leaking?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
asdf

Just one more question. If some one knows what that substance in my walkman/corder was that was affecting contacts: how can I clean it out completely? I did pretty good job with screwdriver but there are still remnants of goo left near the contact which I can't get at with the tool. Maybe some kind of solvent will do the job?

at

need

time.

was.

Reply to
asdf

fix at

before.

I need

to a

time.

the

out

goo was.

A bug crawled in there and got squished?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th