vcr tape repair

I have some old tapes that the magnetic side is seperating from the clear tape...any way to freeze or heat so that it binds back togetherr to copy them.....? thanks

Reply to
lurk

NO.... it is done, over, kaput, etc.

Reply to
electricitym

"lurk@sbc junk global.net" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Feb 06 00:47:45) --- on the heady topic of "vcr tape repair"

ljg> From: "lurk@sbc junk global.net" ljg> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357820

ljg> I have some old tapes that the magnetic side is seperating from ljg> the clear tape...any way to freeze or heat so that it binds ljg> back togetherr to copy them.....? thanks

There are apparently 2 options as you mention: baking and freezing.

The baking is done using "metal" reels in a preheated oven between

110' to 120'F for 4 to 6 hrs (use a precise themometer, not the oven's). Many range ovens start at 150'F so these are unsuitable.

Freezing takes longer and is done for a period of 2 to 3 months.

The idea behind both methods is to drive out the moisture.

Perhaps vacuum freeze drying is another possibility and perhaps faster than both the above.

One other technique concerns a special tape lubricant cloth that used to be popular but I have no idea if it is to be found anywhere or what it was made of.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.

Reply to
Asimov

Thank you for the information....

Reply to
lurk

If the oxide coating is already peeling away from the plastic medium then getting rid of moisture isn't going to help. And the difference in the coefficients of expansion in the materials will only make the problem much worse if you expose the tape to significant temperature changes.

Try> There are apparently 2 options as you mention: baking and freezing.

Reply to
Mike Berger

I would strongly believe that your tapes are "F***ed"! I would doubt that there is any way to fix them.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA