Sony part info?

Hello all,

I got a call from a customer (or potential customer) who has a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player with a non functioning drawer.

NOTE: I'm not 100% sure on the model number, as his accent was hard to understand.

Anyway, he had spoken to Sony about it, who told him it needed a

875286435 (8-752-864-35) IC, which was no longer available. I confirmed that the IC is discontinued by Sony, but I don't know what the generic part is. If it is a microprocessor with software on it, then its really NLA. If its a motor drive IC, then I might be able to find it.

I realize that this may all be a moot point, as the problem could be mechanical, but I'm hoping someone here might have a manual and be able to tell me what this IC is.

Many thanks, Tim Schwartz

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Hi Tim,

Try this link.

Regards,

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

I don't know what you use for a browser and a search engine, but I think yo u might want to get back to Google. In ten seconds, literally :

5q

Which gives us the semi-generic Sony number :

Which shows it is an eight bit microprocessor in something like a QFP or wh atever package. Don't bother trying to get the datasheet from that site, th ey won't give it up. The only way you get it from them is IF in the Google results the actual URL ends in "PDF". If your search engine or browser does not show the actual URL of the results with extension at the bottom of the description, get rid of the piece of shit. You NEED this in this business. I still exclusively use Google and IE8 for business. If it ends in HTML, y ou will only get a datasheet from a manufacturer's or vendor's site usually .

This means you will have to probably find new old stock. And BTW, are the s ymptoms really whacky or something ? If the unit works but it just doesn't load right it sounds like either a mechanical problem or the motor driver I C. Microprocessors very rarely go bad.

What's more, Sony does not want you to fix this. They will, for $1.18 for t he part and $179.95 labor, which will sell a new CD player which either the y built, or contains some components from their components division.

Never trust them. In fact I have proven them wrong so many times I stopped even calling them 20 years ago.

Reply to
jurb6006

Yeah - Elektrotanya has the manual. I went ahead and researched the part.

It's IC201, a CXP84124-025Q the system controller micro.

I don't trust their "diagnosis" . For years now Sony simply identifies a part which is no longer available, and says "sorry - part not available" just to get out of the repair.

Trust your own troubeleshooting. Personally I'd be looking first at lubrication and loading belt issues...

They still have actual techs working at the Laredo TX (actually Mexico?) facility, but if your unit is over 5-7 years old you can just about forget it.

Mark Zacharias

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

I think that should be rule number one.

I was at one shop where when a tech got stumped on a unit he had to put it all back the way it was. I don't mean all the screws but electronically - r emove jumpers and restore any disconnections used for testing. Then it goes to the next guy (usually me) and the other guy is told to shut up and not say a word unless and until I ask something. The idea here was to get a pur ely fresh perspective on the problem. It wasn't to the point of unreplacing parts, but make it so it doesn't go poof when you plug it in.

As for Sony, they were terrible up here 25 years ago. Sometimes we had to s end them a thing or two and I noticed the bill was not honest. They didn't even want you to know what they did.

Sony is in the business of selling, not fixing and always has been. At leas t 25 years ago they had a quality product. Now the name means nothing. Well it does mean one thing - "The parts herein do not fit anything else and no other parts fit herein with the possible exception of those devices with t hree or less terminals".

Reply to
jurb6006

That's not altogether correct. Sony used to have a customer service center outside Washington. I took an item or two there for repair.

In one case (a dictating machine) Sony botched the diagnosis and told me the machine couldn't be fixed. I buttonholed the manager, explained why the diagnosis did not fit the symptoms, and they fixed it -- at no charge. (Yes, that's rather surprising for any company.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Duh. I meant Seattle.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks all,

I searched for the part number, not the manual. Must have been past my bedtime. Yup, the IC is a discontinued micro.

I've not seen the unit yet, and I do realize that there is a better chance of a mechanical failure than an electronic one. On the other hand, I have seen a few Sony micros have ports go bad so that everything worked except the tray.

Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

I meant Seattle.

Let's see, you had to help them diagnose a dictaphpone. Now when guys come applying for a job at your shop and you look at their resume'.........

And down here in the lower 46½, we consider that even if you are sitting in a basement in the state of Washington, you are still outside.

Reply to
jurb6006