Help identifying part on Sony KV-27EXR15

Hi,

Some time ago, I mentioned that my 15 year old Sony KV-27EXR15 would periodically turn itself off. After some time, it would come back on, either by itself, or if I turned the set off from the front panel and let it sit for a while.

Today, I took the time to go over all the boards closely. I was looking for fractured solder joints or traces and found none. All boards were in great shape!

Well, I reassembled it, and turned it on, and might have stumbled on the cause of all this ... or at least an indicator of what part is failing.

On the "G" board, which is located on the left side of the chassis (looking into it from behind), there is a small, cubical black part in the lower left corner, with the following printed on it:

081-22 0607 TDK

Looking at the schematic for the KV-27EXR15, I find that this is a part called "THP607", a 3 legged part. This part gets VERY HOT when the set is on. When the set goes out, it cools off, and the set will power up again. I'm thinking that this is some kind of thermal protection device.

Here are the questions:

Is this part known to fail, and thus the likely cause of my problems?

Is this part getting hot due to something else in the set drawing too much current (not likely, since neither of the two glass fuses have blown .. ever .. in 15 years!)

Where would one find a replacement part like this to install?

Thanks for any help you can provide ...

Bill

Reply to
Darmok

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:46:12 -0400, Darmok put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) resistor. It normally runs hot. When it does fail it takes out the main fuse. It is not the cause of your problems. It is used to provide a short pulse of current to the degaussing coil at switch-on.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Darmok: What you described is the posistor for the automatic degaussing circuit.... and it is suppose to get hot. When you first turn on your television you will hear a whooshing noise... that is the degaussed working.... and when the posister heats up it gradually reduces the power going to the degaussing coils... then a relay will cut off all power to the degassing circuit. This is NOT the cause for your television turning itself off, it has absolutely nothing to do with your television's on/off operation other than degaussing. I would still suspect faulty solder connections or maybe a heat sensitive component in the other areas of circuitry, but in not the degaussing circuitry. You may want to go to the website for this newsgroup at

there, with some searching, you can learn a lot about the degaussing circuit and other things to look for in your quest to fix your television..... the answers are there if you plan to spend some quality search time.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Confirmed that this is a PTC. Sheesh ... that damn thing gets SO HOT that I can't even put a finger on it. Its a wonder the plastic case doesn't melt.

Well, after more looking and reassembling, the set wouldn't even power up. So I pulled the G board out (again) and looked at it under my 3x magnifier light, and found 2 ICs with fractures in the lead solder. One was IC653 in a TO-220 case, and the other was an 8 or 9 (staggered) lead IC that controls various voltages. I re-soldered both of those, put the board back in, and it fired right up. Now I have to see if those were the cause of it shutting itself down. Guess I'll just have to leave it on while I'm home to see if it will drop out.

Thanks

Reply to
Darmok