Soldering a Broken TV

I started having trouble with my TV after it was moved in a U-Haul from San Francisco to Seattle. I managed to locate a faulty solder joint on the board. Applying pressure to the joint with a strip of wood fixes the problem.

My problem is this: I am very experienced with electronics and soldering, but I have little experience when it comes to high voltage. I need to fix the solder joint but I have no hardware to properly discharge any high voltage capacitors in the TV. I don't think this is a problem as the faulty solder joint is attached to what appears to be a FET. However, it could also be a triac, which could mean that it's attached to a HV part of the circuit. I don't want to stick my head in there to find out exactly what it is. Would you advise fixing the solder joint without first discharging the TV?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
support

Huh?

You're "very experienced in electronics and soldering" yet you don't know whether something is an FET or a triac?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Fix it that way. You don't have the skill set to do more.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Just lay some steel wool or tinsel around where you will be working and it will short out any voltage.

--

You are living somebody else's dream. The whole world, laws
and way of life; not your dream.

Clyde Crashcup
Reply to
Clyde Crashcup ...............

I don't want to stick my head in between the high-voltage electronics and the CRT to see it more closely.

Reply to
support

You dont need to discharge anything to do some soldering . The charge is held up under that big suction cup on the picture tube . Simply turn the set off and wait a few minutes for the filter capacitors to discharge by themselves , turn the board over then solder . In some cases when you walk up to a tv and touch metal parts you may get a static zap just like you do from the car door or door knob in your house .

Reply to
Ken G.

That "big suction cup" has a wire extending from it to the HV section. Touching any bare section of that wire (although there shouldn't be any), or of the parts in the HV section to which it's attached, can give you a big surprise.

The picture tube itself holds the charge.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

That sounds like a recipe for problems later, when bits of steel wool left behind cause further shorts. Besides, putting steel wool on a board containing capacitors that aren't fully discharged already can discharge them through inappropriate paths.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Simply leave the TV off overnight. That should discharge any capacitors that would affect soldering on the mainboard. The only possible remaining charge may be on the CRT anode but that only goes to the flyback and you should not need to disconnect it. And, that will almost certainly be discharged by then in any case.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

In nearly all CRT TVs and monitors less tha 30 years old, it goes directly into the flyback and bare sections would be extermely unlikely.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Unless the ground to the outside of the kine is disconnected. Not a good thing to touch if you are standing on the ledge of a second floor window.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Just get in there and solder it, if the set has been unplugged for a few days there's no risk.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not sure I'd want to test it out this way, but in principle, if the ground only were disconnected after the set was turned off, there would be no voltage between it and ground.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

True, but when it is run that way and you just turned it off to twist the yoke . . . . .

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I think a lot of the reponses so far have been attempts at humour. Possibly because you say youre very experienced yet dont know how to discharge a psu cap or the tube eht. No, you cant rely on them to self discharge over a day or so. Since youre experienced, figure it out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He made his skill level clear and the best advice for him is to not try.

Fix it that way. You don't have the skill set to do more.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

HeHeHe... If it's run with the CRT ground disconnected, that's a different story. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Go to the library. Get an older copy of the Radio Amateur's Handbook. It should show you how to make a tool consisting of a wire, a wooden dowel, and a resistor, that can be used to safely discharge high voltage capacitors.

These devices were called 'crowbars' because that is what they essentially were, a crowbar with a heavy wire that connected it to ground.

The operator would turn off the power, hang the crowbar on the high voltage line, grounding it, and work on the equipment, secure and safe. IF someone accidently turned on the power without removing the crowbar, it would blow fuses.

Nowdays, a circuit that shorts the output of a power supply to ground in case of overvoltage output of the supply is called a 'crowbar' circuit, for reasons that should now be clear.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

You are describing a "Shorting Stick" which is a safe way to discharge a HV power supply to service the equipment. It was also used in broadcast transmitters, in case the safety interlocks failed. A crowbar is not current limited, it is a fail safe shutdown circuit, and you can expect damage if it is triggered.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida