Soldering a Broken TV

Thanks to those of you that actually had helpful things to say.

I let the TV sit for 48 hours, cracked it open, and went in with the soldering iron. Now all is well.

Responses like "Don't even try, you suck, you don't have the skills." aren't helpful in teaching others new things. People aren't born with these skills and neither were you. Offer some constructive advice to help people to learn rather than put them down.

Reply to
support

Good for you. Congratulations on the repair.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Always best to discharge! you can use a simple flathead screwdriver with an alligator clip. Clip it to the screwdriver and clip it to DAG Ground... it will be a braid of wire attached to the CRT tube slide flathead screw driver in under the anode cap that runs to the flyback transformer. It will look like a large suction cup attached to the picture tube.. You will hear a 'pop' as the HV discharges. Then it will be ready to pull that board. I would still be leary of the filter caps though!

Reply to
StarBaseONE2

OK. Here is constructive advice. Learn the way I did - take a 5 year apprenticeship and pass the required exams to become qualified.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Some offered advice intended to avoid risk of death or injury to yourself. Maybe it wasnt put the best way. Some of us have learnt the painful way. Some are lucky to be alive today. Some have learnt the hard way, and they cant give you the benefit of their experience any more.

Sitting it for 2 days does not ensure discharge and does not mke it safe to work on, I've drawn nice energetic sparks off a tv after a week. Dischargng is easy to do.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sorry, that's not constructive advice in this context.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Glad you got it fixed .. see that was easy .

The people who did not give a decent answer do not know the answer so now they learn too .

Reply to
Ken G.

Sure it was. Some people are capable. Some are not. I've spent too much time cleaning up after those who are not. One lucky break doesn't change my views.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

These little homilies don't do a thing.

The poster declared that he knew about electronics and soldering, yet he neither knew how to discharge the CRT, or had the means of looking it up.

That does not indicate someone who is well versed in electronics.

Now the interesting thing is that if he'd not put in that bit, he might not have gotten the answers he did. Boastfulness often doesn't result in help, it certainly doesn't result in sympathy.

And ultimately the boast didn't do a thing, because whether or not he did know anything, he didn't know the bit he did need to know (by his own acknowledgement, after all, he was asking how to discharge the CRT). He couldn't have done any worse by not putting that bit in.

All of this is reinforced when he comes back and thanks the people he helped, and denounces those who didn't. That's part of the process.

It's not as if this hasn't happened before, by many other posters.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Or just jump in and start working on things like I did, with the internet, who needs to waste 5 years taking a course?

Reply to
James Sweet

This is not safe.

  1. Alligator clips come off very readily, and screwdrivers dont insulate to 25kV. There is also the q of what the clip is touching after its come off, it may be your metal trouser fly. :)
  2. The OP may think you mean the braid that connects to the tube base pcb, and aquadag braid to chassis is prone to coming disocnnected in some set designs, so again this may fail at times.
  3. Finally a single zap does not discharge the CRT, it typically takes
3 goes.
  1. And lastly, reservoir caps must be discharged too. They are a good deal more dangerous than CRT EHT, which is usualy not fatal and is more or less insulated. Reservoirs OTOH are kill capable, and conductive paths route their energy to who knows where on the board. And typically a repair will involve handling the main board - often with both hands, which is where the danger comes in. A cap full of 330v across the 2 hands is not something to volunteer for.

Maybe the OP should read up on Darwin Awards.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It may not be "safe" but I've been doing it that way for 15 years and never had a problem with it. Screwdriver with a wire wrapped around it connected to the dag strap. Most of the other caps discharge themselves but I stick a screwdriver across the big ones just to make sure.

Reply to
James Sweet

What waste? I put myself through college working at my trades - no student loans needed.

  • Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +
  • damaged idiots.
+
  • Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
  • Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
  • Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The very old TV sets had nasty AC powered EHT systems that could kill. The only way the flyback can kill is if you are holding a gun in your mouth with one hand while you play with the TV with the other.

+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain   +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
Homer J Simpson

1930s, yes. What are the odds of the OP's set being that old though? The era of mirror-top sets and red EHT current limiting bulbs.

or the shock resulted in breaking the tube. Or in a recoiling hand coming into contact with a charged reservoir cap. Or a live chassis on an older set. Or the person had a weak heart and didnt know it. Etc. Theres no point being silly about these things when it takes 30 seconds to discharge EHT.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:41:29 -0800, meow2222 Has Frothed:

Some of those old Muntz tv sets were killers.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Indubitably, but a TV doesn't scare me a tiny bit in comparison with a microwave -- or an 11 kV street line.