Panasonic Cordless phone mic problem

My Panasonic cordless phone KX-TG2553B used to work fine. Now people I call complain (and I have verified) that the handset mic volume is extremely low. Changing the phone volume has no effect. Don't know if the handset was dropped -certainly possible though. Do these mics ever go bad? I took it apart and found nothing obvious. It cost $125 bucks in '02 and has been a great phone. TIA

Reply to
MJ

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:55:11 -0800, "MJ" put finger to keyboard and composed:

complain

the phone

though.

$125 bucks

Have you recently switched to DSL? Panasonic phones have a known issue with some filters.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar
2.4 ghz cordless phones really perform badly near any microwave oven, when cooking. Having said that, may just be a bad mic, or some debri in the hole for the mic. Sky.
Reply to
Skype_man

I have found this to be a common problem with panasonic phones. I don't know the cause but mine has the same problem as well as my friends's panasonic phone.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I did some internet searching but couldn't find much on Panasonic low volume problems. I'm going to try plugging in a headset into the handset and see if that bypasses the problem. A friend has this identical phone which I tried in my base unit and it works fine - so I know the trouble is with my handset itself. I'd swap out the mic if I knew where to find a replacement.

the cause

complain

the

possible

It cost

Reply to
MJ

You MAY find a mic that will work, & fit from a ghetto blaster, or tape recorder. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

complain

the phone

possible though.

$125 bucks

Reply to
Dana

Electret condensor mic probably, they're so easy to get, i'd buy 4 options just in case parameters don't match. Prolly answered the phone with wet hands. 1 word of caution when u open the handset up, watch out for the gooey keypad , they're oh so icky, sweaty and toxic. Jango

Reply to
jango2

I've found that using a headset circumvents the low volume mic issue, which implicates the mic itself, in my way of thinking. Anyone know how to get a schematic for a Panasonic cordless phone on the web? TIA

problems.

bypasses the

works

I knew

the cause

complain

the

nothing

Reply to
MJ

Ok, I pulled the mic off the board and it says C10 on it. I'll try the local Shack.

complain

the

nothing

Reply to
MJ

I remembered I had an older Panasonic cordless phone handset that went through my clothes washer (full cycle - no kidding). I pulled it's mic, popped it in, and my phone is back working great. YEAH! Thanks to all responders in this thread.

Shack.

low.

apart and

phone. TIA

Reply to
MJ

One more thing - that tells me that water (and suds and lots of agitation) is NOT what killed the mic in the first place. Maybe static electricity?

my

my phone

Shack.

call