Replacing those 'can' type electros

Hey all;

I've got an old tube amp with a lot of hum so I am going to replace the filter caps. The problem is, they are in a can. The can says

10uF 350 (with a little trangle beside it) 10uF 350 (with a little square beside it) 2uF 350

I think I can figure that part out. The can has 3 terminals and is grounded to the chassis. Can I assume from this that each of the terminals is the + of the cap and the - is connected to ground? Also, how do I figure out which terminal goes to which cap? What do the triangle and square mean?

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

On the bottom, you'll see corresponding triangles, squares, etc., to identify the positive terminals. The negatives are the can unless otherwise indicated.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

There are 3 separate electrolytics in that can. As you guessed, all of their negatives are tied together. If you look at the terminals you should see the corresponding triangle and square, identifying the postive terminals for the 10uF portions.

Good luck with the hum...

Reply to
Mr. Land

Thanks a lot guys. That explains the shapes...

Reply to
tempus fugit