Panasonic phone tear down?

I've have had cordless Panasonic KX-TGA600M phone for years. It's a trooper . and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller I D display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, findin g parts would be appreciated. -John T.

Reply to
Electronodude
+++++++++++

If it is just problems with the dispay research "zebra strip" repair

Reply to
N_Cook

and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding parts would be appreciated. -John T.

Good morning,

While it is the easy way out, there are several of these for sale on e-bay for around $30.00 Of course, there could be a problem with those too, so read the descriptions carefully.

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding parts would be appreciated. -John T.

Getting the Panasonic handset open is a bit of a PITA. This is for a similar TG2356 handset.

  1. Remove battery cover and battery.
  2. Remove 2 screws near the bottom of handset.
  3. With a plastic spudger (not a screwdriver), pry in the location shown until the case locking mechanism cracks open. Pry the back cover away from the front cover to release the lock.

From there, you should be able to remove the PCB and expose the LCD connectors. Do not rotate the Zebra strip connectors. Just clean them, the PCB, and the LCD contacts. Put the Zebra strips back in the way the came out.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com