Low Volume - Panasonic Cordless Phone Handset

Does anyone know if the handset volume on a Panasonic KX-TCM937-B

900MHz "Cordless Answering System" can be adjusted?

I received this phone/answering machine combo as a hand-me-down from a friend who was leaving the country a few years back. It worked well for a few years, but lately the handset volume has gotten so low that I have trouble understanding what people are saying to me.

I thought the problem was probably a worn-out rechargeable battery, so I bought a new battery and let it charge overnight. But this morning, the volume level in the earpiece of the handset is as low as ever :(

I found a PDF of the manual for this phone, but can't seem to find any reference to adjusting the handset volume (the PDF is not searchable) and due to chronic health problems my poor old brain has trouble processing information that I read on computer screens these days.

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if there's a way to increase the volume in the handset earpiece.

Will in Seattle a.k.a. "Clueless"

Reply to
Clueless in Seattle

I wouldn't count on this being something that could be adjusted. I've serviced this stuff under factory authorized repair and don't recall ever seeing such an adjustment.

Have you had your hearing checked lately?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I was afraid of that. I wonder why the volume level has dropped off so drastically.

No, not lately. But the last time I did have it checked they told me I had the hearing of a 14-year-old.

The the handset volume in one of my corded phones is so loud that I have to hold the phone away from my ear because it is so loud that it's painful to my ear. And I sometimes wish my hearing weren't quite so good, because I don't sleep so well these days and even the smallest sound, like the creaking floor in the apartment above me, can wake me up.

So, since it's not the battery. What else might cause the volume level in the earpiece of a cordless handset to drop to drastically. The people on the other end tell me that they have no trouble hearing me, so the microphone seems to be working ok.

Will in Seattle a.k.a. "Clueless"

Reply to
Clueless in Seattle

Reply to
nipperchipper

Hmm maybe that's the problem. When my son was 14 he couldn't hear me unless I yelled at him. :)

Now that he's almost 17 his hearing is worse. I have to get up and shake my fist at him before he hears.

What coulkd cause the drop in volume? Start at the first stage of the audio circuit and work your way to the speaker.

About the only thing a consumer handy with a soldering iron could do without any service literature and a scope would be to swap the speaker. With a service manual hopefully containing some audio voltage specs at certain stages one properlly equipped would scope the output of each stage and find where the amplification in voltage stopped.

Reply to
Meat Plow