Samsung TI 14N3 TV / VCR combo

Less than a year old but requiring frequent head cleaning because of noisy picture replay. Is this another supposed head cleaner gizmo? Next to the supply side tape guide, on the curved-slotted pathway, is a brass cylinder that touches the active side of the tape , rotating with its motion, for no apparent reason. I removed it, assuming it is some idea of a duff tape cleaner. Anyone familiar with these ?

I tend to always remove those nasty foam supposed head cleaners, on placcy arms that engage with the spinning heads , as seem to CAUSE dirty heads.

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on

N Cook

N Cook: The brass roller that you removed was put there by the manufacturer to help smooth out the tape flow BEFORE the entrance roller guide and has absolutely NOTHING to do with cleaning the tape as you surmised. This roller is usually after the full erase head but sometimes before. Removing it will impair the already less than stellar performance in terms of increased high frequency jitter or time base errors in the video.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

help

absolutely

high

I've never seen one of these gizmos in any VCR. What you say may well have been the manufacturer's intent. But it is engaged with the tape in all modes, Play, Play+FF,Play + REW, FF,REW,Express FF & Express REW. There was a black smudge on this cylinder thingy before I removed it. Don't know what it was ,didn't blow off or lift off with a magnet. Probably something vaguely greasy that came off by wiping with finger. Since removing this brass cylinder and playing/recording on different tapes the noisy picture has not returned - so far anyway. I've not noticed any warble but I will record a 1KHz tone to see.

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on

N Cook

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:54:26 +0100, "N Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Are you referring to the impedance roller? If so, then this part is absent from modern low end machines.

See

(part I in fig. 3)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

will

That's a useful graphic. I didn't know what "I" was called but very common in all makes usually plastic relatively large 0.8 inch diameter plastic.

In this case In that graphic the position would be between Z and the drum again free rotation but touching the tape and about 0.3 inch diameter brass cylinder . The slide arm guides are further set back from the head drum than in that graphic leaving a bit more space for this gizmo

Reply to
N Cook

,didn't blow off or

Yyou put a magnet near you VCR's tape path??? That's a no-no.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

help

absolutely

high

On first receiving and running first time of rec then play was a good picture, second R+P then noisy picture. Removed this gizmo and repeated 12 times on 6 different tapes and no return so far. I intend returning the gizmo in a plastic bag, with explanation, along with their combo and cross fingers , unless anyone can think of anything else.

Black smudge was something like the way photocopier toner sticks to surfaces because of the slight surfactant/silicone content. I've never seen such a smudge on impedance rollers before so can only assume happened because brass rather than plastic.

Reply to
N Cook