Replace VCR mechanicals?

Is it possible to replace just the mechanicals of a VCR? On my RCA VR712HF, it requires only six screws and one small ribbon cable to remove the entire tape transport system. Where can I buy this assembly? Does anyone know the part number for it? This model of VCR is no longer sold, but I love the way it automatically fast-forwards through commercials. I also have a RCA VR708HF I would like to know about, too. Thanks. Mike

Reply to
miketaylor75

General answer: if the transport comes out with the removal of six screws and the disconnection of one ribbon cable, then it can be replaced.

In theory.

The problem is that VCRs are a dead technology. No flames, please, I was working on three or four of them last week. The odds that you could actually buy a new transport unit are vanishingly small. You'd be better off looking for another VCR like the one you have left out for the trash. Either that or buy a new DVD player-VCR combination unit for $79.99.

So my guess is that theoretically it can be done, but practically it's not worth it. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it, as most of what I do is a waste of time.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

If it were available, it would likely cost several times what you paid for the whole VCR. My advice is forget it.

You don't say what's wrong with it, but you can usually get service kits to replace high-wear items on VCRs, ie the takeup clutch, belts, tensioner, pinch roller etc. That might be your best bet.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1139361430.998481.80320 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

uh-huh. what do you usually use the VCR for?

Reply to
PARAKEET

This can be done, but only if you can find another similar VCR to get the parts from. A replacement mechanism would be too expensive if it was even available.

I've done this before when I've had a nice high end VCR with a badly worn, or damaged mechanism and a similar low end VCR with a good mechanism. It's usually much easier to repair the existing mechanism than try to do a swap though.

I recently did this with a Sony SL-HF-900 4 head hi-fi Beta VCR that had been worked on several times. The VCR worked, but it would not align using the procedure in the service manual. I suspect the mechanism base was warped, or some of the tape guides were worn, or damaged. In the end I swapped it with the mechanism from a low end SL-3030 2 head mono. It required swapping the drum and capstan motor and changing a lot of cables that were different lengths. It was a lot of work, but it aligned easily and has been working ever since. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Thanks for the quick replies. Where would I look for the aforementioned "service kits"? I realize that VCRs are passe, but these two models automatically skip through most all commercials. That is a feature I have not seen on DVRs. And I don't like paying the monthly fee associated with Tivo. TIA.

Reply to
miketaylor75

what kind of problem are you having? Doug

Reply to
Doug

I've done this with a JVC, and a couple of "jellybean" makes, worked every time. The alignment might be an issue but usually they are set up pretty well in the factory.

-A

Reply to
testing_h

commercial skip is in fact a feature found on many vcrs, just do a web search for a used one or try ebay! save yourself the hassle.

-b

I've seen some of these commercial-skip RCA models develop a problem with the soft-brake on the right side of the tape path. IIRC it causes the tape to spool out in the tape path after a mode change. It's a real cheap part, and pretty easy to replace. If this sound familiar - post back and I can research it for you. It seems to relate to the commercial skip models becase they shuttle the tape back and forth so much.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

The most common problem I've had is that during rewind, the tape motor seems to bog down. Sort of like a car trying to climb a steep hill in too high a gear. Eventually it will slow to a stop. I thought the belt was slipping, but it seems to be okay. Again, thanks to all who have responded with good advice.

Reply to
miketaylor75

Hey Andy, I have a SL-HF900 Clone with a Pioneer Badge on the front sitting in my basement. It's in bad shape - very abused, and not worth repair because it looks like it was thrown out of a moving car. Could you use any specific parts for one of these. I'm planning on going through my Beta pile soon and fix or sell everything.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver