Question......I am no expert but.....

can I replace a 4.7 uf 250 volt cap with a 4.7 uf 350 volt capacitor without doing damage or does it have to be the same voltage?forgive my ignorance but i am just getting into this...thanks

Reply to
andy

Yeah, no problem. It 'used to be', but apparently modern electrolytics don't have to be 'formed' at near their working voltage anymore.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Reply to
andy

To add a little more info for the novices: the voltage rating of a capacitor is just that, a rating, not a value. The difference is that a rating is a maximum useage value. A capacitor rated at 250 volts should not be used in a circuit that will see more than 250 volts, but use in circuits with lower voltages is fine. Therefore a 350 volt capacitor can be used in place of a 250 volt capacitor without difficulty.

Good design practice calls for derating components, for instance to not use a 250 volt capacitor in any circuit that applied 125 volts to it. That would be a 50 percent voltage derating to improve the reliability of the circuit. The same principle could be applied to resistor and semiconductor power ratings, etc.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

If it's a polarized electrolytic do be sure to observe the polarity...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Reply to