Sound but no picture

This seems to be a pretty technical forum, I hope this isn't too simplistic of a question.

My big-screen RCA TV suddenly displays just a black screen. Sound's OK. I've tried different inputs, both satellite and DVD, in three different input options - co-axial cable, RCA jacks (in video 1 and video 2 input jacks), but to no avail.

The puzzling part is, when I change the volume, I see the volume bar on the screen. Plus, I can access the built-in menu for the TV. But I cannot see the satellite menu.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I can correct this? Or should I leave it to a repairman?

Thanks in advance! Steve.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------

---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---

-------------=

=-------------

Reply to
steveosmith

LOOK FOR A KNOB THAT SAYS BRIGHTNESS AND ANOTHER ONE THAT SAYS CONTRAST AND TURN BOTH OF THEM TO THE RIGHT AND THAT SHOULD FIX YOUR PROBLEM.

DOOFUS

Reply to
Jeff Hackler

If you can get the TV menu and volume bar it shows the screen is working. Why not just plug the antenna straight into the TV antenna socket and see if you can receive free to air channels using no other equipment.

My guess is that you have some problem with the way your satellite STB and other equipment is connected or set up.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Closed caption and PIP malfunctions sometimes do things like this. GemStar module also has been known for a variety of ills.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Unplug the TV from wherever it gets it's AC for 2 minutes, and plug it back in. There is a 75% chance it will work ok. The only way to reset the system control to clear software glitches is by unplugging.

If not, repair would be well beyond anyone unfamiliar with projection TVs.

John

Reply to
John-Del

THAT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH MACINTOSH COMPUTERS, NOT TV SETS.

Reply to
Jeff Hackler

Absolutely, unplug it to reset the system control. With all the different manifestations of the Gemstar circuit in an RCA, many odd problems are easily fixed with a simple unplugging to reset any software glitches.

Beyond that troubleshooting by a qualified technician will be required.

Reply to
dkuhajda

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT WHO THE FUCK WOULD BUILT A TV THAT NEEDS TO BE UNPLUGGED AND PLUGGED BACK IN TO WORK

Reply to
Jeff Hackler

This seems to be a pretty technical forum, I hope this isn't too

bar

You didn`t give us to much to go be to be able to help you. The first thing is whats the model number on this. Second, I would call a repairman in to check it out for you if you don`t know the basic of tv repair because you maybe getting in over your head with this depending on the chassis number on it.

Reply to
tvguy

required.

WHAT A PIECE OF *** WHO THE *** WOULD BUILT A TV THAT NEEDS TO BE UNPLUGGED AND PLUGGED BACK IN TO WORK[/quote:c52a7d52ec]

RCA has had this feature for a few years now since the gemstar module had came out. All this feature does is resets the memory. If there is no problem with the set, it will return the picture back to normal. If there is a problem the picture will stay out.

Reply to
tvguy