Please help with: JVC HR-VP638U

My son pushed a tape too quickly into this VCR. Instead of dropping and seating into the carriage as normally, the tape appeared to ramp upward and too far inside. The VCR started spinning, and I had a heck of time working the tape out. I did not feel or hear anything break. However, when the tape was out, the VCR kept doing a cycle of spinning one direction quickly for about 3 seconds, then stops and reverses directions, over and over. It sounds like it's going to great effort, because the speed starts to diminish after 3-4 cycles, like the transports are tiring or working against something. It will not respond to any of the front panel buttons. Unplugging it is the only way to stop it. As soon as it's plugged back in it starts the cyle over. Now it will not accept a tape unless I unplug it, remove the cover and gently work the tape in and then push it down into carriage. At that point it will play, rewind, ff, etc, as normal, until I hit eject. Then the whole thing starts over.

Is there something I can do other than junk it and buy another?

thank you for any assistance.

jm

Reply to
JM

Unless you know what to look for, not much you can do. VCRs in this situation either have broken gears or levers, or maybe a gear just jumped a few teeth. many times a gear or lever will have markings to show where they align to each other, but again you need to know what to look for. If you disassemble the mechanism without the help of someone with at least a little experience, you may never get it back together correctly. Many times when you remove a gear or lever, the adjoining part will rotate or move under some sort of spring tension.

This is not meant to discourage you, but if you can find the help of someone with a little VCR repair experience, it can possibly be repaired at home. That sounds like a high-end model, so it may be worth having it professionally repaired. Even if a new VCR is only $40, if it's a good model from several years ago it may be worth professional repair. Even if it costs more than a new model with the same features. Good luck.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

"JM" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Nov 05 18:53:36) --- on the heady topic of "Please help with: JVC HR-VP638U"

JM> From: "JM" JM> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:348450

JM> My son pushed a tape too quickly into this VCR. Instead of dropping JM> and seating into the carriage as normally, the tape appeared to ramp JM> upward and too far inside. The VCR started spinning, and I had a heck JM> of time working the tape out. I did not feel or hear anything break. JM> However, when the tape was out, the VCR kept doing a cycle of spinning JM> one direction quickly for about 3 seconds, then stops and reverses JM> directions, over and over. It sounds like it's going to great effort, JM> because the speed starts to diminish after 3-4 cycles, like the JM> transports are tiring or working against something. It will not JM> respond to any of the front panel buttons. Unplugging it is the only JM> way to stop it. As soon as it's plugged back in it starts the cyle JM> over. Now it will not accept a tape unless I unplug it, remove the JM> cover and gently work the tape in and then push it down into carriage. JM> At that point it will play, rewind, ff, etc, as normal, until I hit JM> eject. Then the whole thing starts over. JM> Is there something I can do other than junk it and buy another?

JM> thank you for any assistance.

jm,

If you aren't all thumbs and know how to keep track of a few screws then there is hope of not needing to scrap the thing. It requires removing the cover and front bezel, usually a couple of screws and a few snap locks. What has to be done inside is to retime the loading basket. This involves removing the loading basket assembly and resetting the main cam to a known sequence in the cycle, then reinstalling the basket. etc...

The easiest cycle to find manually is the stopped/off position. At this point the load arms have retracted the tape and just stopped moving forward. This is the point for example when a tape is loaded and then the vcr is turned off for a timer initiated recording.

After the basket is removed the load motor can be spun manually with your fingertips or other small tool. The load motor engages the main cam and the basket mechanism. With the basket removed, turn the load motor shaft until the tape loading fingers are closest to the front of the vcr. Then spin the motor the other way so that they retract backwards and then just stop. This is the position you want.

Set the tape basket drawer so that it is forward and down (i.e. tape is loaded). There are often 1 or 2 little interlocks. Now re-install the basket back in that condition. When power is applied to the vcr it should briefly exercise the load arms and then automatically reset itself to the proper unloaded basket position.

This procedure should work except if there is damage to a gear or bent arms or guides.

Reinstall the bezel making sure the door opening lever is in its proper location. Close the cover and that should be it. Good luck!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!

Reply to
Asimov