BU406D equivalent??

Would an NTE256 do the job?

Reply to
simon hanlon

Why don't you figure it out?

Note that the NTE device would be about 3-4 times the price of the BU device let alone any other consideration.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Where can you find a BU406D though? I had a heck of a time finding one several years ago, IIRC nobody makes the D anymore, though you can get the BU406 and add an external damper diode.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, the 406D is still readily available in Australia so it should be elsewhere in the world. When I have time I will let you know where else.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Reply to
simon hanlon

I have looked at the datasheets and wanted a 2nd opinion not a smart remark!!

Reply to
simon hanlon

BU406D UKP 0.85 +Vat from

though just becuase they list it may not mean they actually have any... :)

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Reply to

OK, but that may simply be because the various stockists choose to keep a higher voltage rated device such as the BU407 or 8D instead of the BU406D. You can use either of these as a replacement. There is more than one way to skin a cat you know...

A quick check shows that these places may have the either the BU406D,

7D or 8D, or even all three types.
Ross Herbert

I wasn't just making a smart remark. It seems that you want someone else to do all the work for you. The data on both types would have immediately told you the NTE device was not the best choice.

It is a logical step that when considering a substitution of components you first of all find the data on what you have and then what you want to replace it with. If you had studied the data sheets you would see that the package types are vastly different for a start. Next thing is that the NTE is a darlington type with bias resistor and it is rated at 28A whereas the BU406D is only 7A.

The NTE package type will make it hard to fit in the existing holes plus the fact that it will cost over $20 as against maybe $1 or so for the BU or other equivalent device.

If you had done some searching in the UK using Google you would have found several possible sources for the BU406, 407 or 408D.

eg.

There are other possible sources I will include in another post.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Reply to
simon hanlon