problem with JVC HR-S9600U

I'm looking for "Yes, there's a straightforward fix" or "No, toss it" responses. I'm not trying to initiate a long, drawn-out discussion full of wild speculation.

Tapes load, and are wrapped around the drum. But they don't begin playing. Nor do wind/rewind work.

The capstan is pressed firmly against the pinch roller, but it doesn't turn. The idler gear (that engages the hubs for playback tension and wind/rewind) does appear to work, as the hubs briefly "twitch" when the tape is loaded. The idler gear connects to the capstan -- turning the capstan rotates the idler gear.

I don't have a service manual.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

First a couple of questions:

1) Do the heads spin at all during the loading process?

2) Have you checked the condition of the belts at all?

I would check the capstan belt first. Without this, you won't get any tape movement. I suspect that the tape is not being retracted into the cassette either. This could be a slipping capstan belt or a failed capstan motor.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

First a couple of questions:

1) Do the heads spin at all during the loading process?

Absolutely.

2) Have you checked the condition of the belts at all?

Yes, those I can get to.

Turning the capstan by hand turns the idler gear and (I think) the opposite is true. This is a very late machine, and difficult to fully disassemble.

Well, when I press Eject, the tape is pulled back and the cassette ejected. Is that what you mean?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hi William,

I think I have the same machine somewhere in my garage. Maybe checking the ESR of the caps would be a good place to start? I remember at some point years ago I had to clean the mode switch to correct some strange behaviors. Be careful of the timing marks if you do remove it. There is a V-notch that has to be aligned. Again, take a good look at it before you pull it out.

Also, make sure the loading mechanism makes it to the end of its travel. That tiny loading belt can slip though the power would probably just shut off if it did time out.

Good luck.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Based upon the responses, I would agree that the likely cause of this is the mode switch. Careful removal of this, cleaning it and replacing it should resolve the problem.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Thanks to Dave and Dan for their excellent suggestions. Perhaps it would be wise to get a service manual.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have the paper manual for HR-S7000U which I think is the same chassis. If you need a scan of the alignment procedure, let me know.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Thank you for the offer.

I'm not sure what I need. I don't see how to take it apart to get to the mode switch (which I assume is the grey-and-white thingy near the front, on the right of the transport).

If it wouldn't be too much trouble to scan just that information -- removal + adjustment -- it would be appreciated. No rush.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hi William,

I'll scan it for you. It might be easier to find my machine and just explain it to you.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Hi again William,

I found my VCR. It's an HR-S7000U. It's from the late '80's. That would explain why I have that manual. I looked up a picture of your HR-S9600. They look nothing alike. My VCR has a bottom panel you can remove and get easy access to the loading mechanism and belt. From your description, it sounds like it isn't quite so easy.

I hope you're able to figure it out.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

It's one of those units in which almost everything is on one board -- and the transport sits above the board, so it's hard to get to the transport.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck