Pioneer VSX-D710S receiver help ‹ no sound

Hello,

I received a Pioneer VSX-D710S AV receiver that does not have any sound through the speakers. The headphone jack produces sound. It was working fine until this happened. Although I am not too technical, I did open it up to take a look, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Will buying the service manual help me at all or should I just bring it to a technician? Is it even worth fixing or paying to have it fixed?

Thanks for your help,

Josh

Reply to
thePfef

To be honest, DC coupled amps like this are not for the faint hearted. They frequently present a serious repair headache even to those of us experienced in repairing them. It is almost certainly worth doing, but my honest advice would be to take it to a repair shop that properly understands these amps, and let them do it. If you make any inexperienced attempts at trouble shooting it, you might easily end up damaging it further, and then it might not be worth repairing ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

When you say things like "I'm not too technical" and "I have no idea what I'm looking for" the only advice possible is to take it to a service facility that has people who are very technical and know what to look for.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Well, I do solder my pinball machine and swap drives/cards/RAM in and out of my computer, but I was definitely trying to dumb down my question since this is out of my skill set. I wasn't sure if there was a solution to this issue that would simply involve swapping out a board. *That* I can handle.

Any ideas what something like this would cost at a technician? Would it just be cheaper to get a new receiver?

Thanks again,

Josh

Reply to
thePfef

It shouldn't take someone who is properly qualified in repairing this type of equipment, long to give a valid opinion as to what is wrong with it, so if you are going to take it to be looked at, pick a place that does do repairs to AV amps. Pioneer is one of the better makes, and in general, their equipment is fairly well behaved when it comes to diagnosing and repairing faults. In my opinion, it would certainly be worth the expense of getting a proper quote to repair it. What pinball do you have ? I have a fully restored Williams Cosmic Gunfight from 1982.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I think this may be of the series which had problems with the 2SA1145 and

2SC2705 transistors on the amp boards. Pretty big job - about 20 transistors are involved.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

That is enough to scare me into bringing it in.

Josh

Reply to
thePfef

I am going to make a new post asking for local shop recommendations. Thanks.

Sweet! I have Bally World Cup Soccer '94. A completely different pinball era than your CG, but plays fast and furious. I have learned a lot about electronics repair (as well as plastic repair and overall pinball maintenance) in my 4 years of ownership.

Reply to
thePfef

I love my CG. It uses the old series 7 CPU. Quite a simple straightforward beast really. I bought it off a dealer who had rebuilt the playfield, but couldn't get the CPU going. Paid him 50 quid for it. The CPU problem was dead simple. The backup battery had leaked, and a couple of pcb tracks had been eaten through. The game ROM sockets were very poor as well, so I put some new ones in. When the guy had rebuilt the playfield, he had made many mistakes, such as switch matrixing diodes in backwards, and the pull and hold coil connections to one of the flipper solenoids that he had replaced, were backwards. I had a full service manual for it that I got from a little company in New York, and also the user and programming book, which has full diagrams with wire colours for the switch and lamp matrices, and also all of the solenoid channels. That helped considerably. Once all of that was sorted, there were a couple of problems with blown transistors in the kicker drive channels, and a couple of mechanical probs with the jet bumpers. The final problems were all related to intermittent board interconnects, which is a known problem with these series 7's, apparently. I finished up hard wiring across between boards using ribbon cable, to overcome this. Since then, it has been in more or less continuous use for probably 10 years that I have had it. I just recently moved it into my conservatory, which has produced a resurgence in interest from all the family and friends.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily