Pioneer VSX-3300 Receiver No Sound

A Pioneer VSX-3300 has no sound on both channels. Relay protective circuit is working (clicks) and the unit tunes fine. I've read about cold solder joints with some Pioneer receivers. Anyone have data on common failure points with this unit? Hank S. S. Florida

Reply to
Hank

A working speaker protection circuit disconnects the speakers. I'll assume you hear a single click and not a click quickly followed by a second click -- listen carefully, as the second "off" click is frequently not as loud as the "on" click.

Btw, output transistors/IC's can blow w/o tripping the protection relay (they simply open). This is a good place to look for a no audio condition, and this failure is common across all brands and models -- high-current devices generally have higher failure rates.

Do any sources other than tuner give sound? If not, a different part that may be suspect is the source switcher IC -- sometimes switching is done inside the control processor itself; otherwise there will be a secondary IC that handles it. I don't have the schemo for your model, so I can't tell ya the specifics of yours. If the switcher circuit fails, the signal will not pass from the tuner or other input sources to the amp section, hence no audio.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Are you a tech type? If not, your chances of fixing this yourself are probably pretty remote.

Problem is, the 3300 is a 1988 model. Service data no longer available from Pioneer, though there are some second sources.

The relevant question in my mind anyway:

Is it worth repairing a 16 or 17 year old mid-fi surround receiver which does not have modern features?

My feeling is probably not...

Maybe time to get a newer model with modern features. $150.00 would replace it with a decent model, a 300.00 to 400.00 model would be a considerable upgrade.

Recommended brands:

Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

this works on the new models . I dont know about older ones .

Locate the backup battery . Unplug the ac cord . Take something and short across the backup battery for 4 seconds .

Try stereo .

Reply to
Ken G.

Thanks to Ray and others for offering suggestions. Both channels are out and the speaker relay clicks once, but there is no noise even at full volume.... No sounds from all sources. Years ago one channel went out and I remember replacing a power amp transistor (not the output transistors). No burned components or flaky-looking solder/traces. The problem is most-likely related to the mode switching or protective circuits (I've read about newer models having problems with the DSP chips & cold solder).

Heck, at 18 this receiver was only in middle age. It was driving a pair of AR1 speakers, which are now connected to my old (reliable) Marantz receiver :-)

I'll take another look before tossing the unit. Thanks for the comments! Hank S. S. Florida

circuit

assume

condition,

IC

ya

not

Reply to
Hank

Most commonly overlooked two words: Tape Monitor.

Worth a look :-) Jammy

Reply to
ampdoc

Thanks Jammy! I pressed the "tape monitor" button about 700 times before I disconnected the receiver for service and another 100 on the bench!! :-)

On another note, my old Marantz receiver sounds SO much better on lows that I have decided to pitch the Pioneer. A replacement receiver will have to at least equal the trusty Marantz! Hank

remember

of

as

secondary

tell

Reply to
Hank

Just fixed a VSX-3600 that had been having problems staying on.

Just about anything in the way of a bump would turn it off.

Many times no bump at all, sometimes would not turn on.

Everytime I had worked on it and thought that I had it fixed I thought the problem was in the left side of the front pannel PCB.

Got tired of looking at and needed something that would switch video so took a last stab at it.

Ended up re-soldering the left half of the front PCB.

Works just fine now, no intermittants what so ever.

Never saw the bad solder joint but must have had one. Almost all of the Pioneer audio equipment I have is from the late 80's and most have developed intermittants due to poor soldering but this was the worst one to find.

Also try re-seating all of the quick connect cables inside the receiver.

Hugh

ampdoc wrote:

Reply to
Hugh Prescott