Pioneer VSX-401 receiver speaker terminals

Hello all!

I have a Pioneer VSX-401 home stereo receiver from about 1991. It works, but the main speaker terminals are sort of beat up... you can put the wire in and flip the tab down, but they don't really grip the wire well. A couple of the plastic tabs are missing as well.

For reference, a pic of the back of a similar receiver on Ebay:

(this reciever is broken, but the speaker terminals are in better shape than mine)

I looked inside the receiver and the terminal block has legs that go into the PC board. If I can't get the original part, there is probably enough room to put in a "generic" terminal block and just solder short wires from it to the PC board. It would be kind of nice to have the original part, though, if it's not insanely expensive.

Pioneer's site says the part number is AKE-111, which substitutes to AKE1008, but both of those part numbers seem to be no longer available. They were apparently used on a lot of M, RX, SA, SX, and VSX series receivers from that time frame.

Does anyone know of a source that might still have some old Pioneer parts like this on the shelf?

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

$0.99 each

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

An alternative is to solder wires to the pcb, feed the wires through stripped out failed outlets , then something like heatshrink covered banana sockets on the wire ends and banana plugs to the speaker wires. Its not on view so functionality only matters.

Reply to
N_Cook

That is a little bit too hillbilly for me.

Reply to
jurb6006

I ordered an SLT-8 terminal block from All Electronics,

, but it was a little bit too big to fit the hole horizontally. It was fine vertically, and the mounting holes matched up - somebody better at sheet metal than I am could probably nibble out a couple of mm on each side of the back panel opening and make this work.

My second idea, which worked, was to use a piece of circuit board material and solder a couple of 4-circuit terminal blocks to it (these:

), and then solder short jumper wires from my circuit board to the Pioneer circuit board. I drilled mounting holes in my board and used a couple of 4-40 screws and nuts to mount it to the original holes in the back panel of the receiver.

It's a little less convenient now - you need a small screwdriver to hook up the speakers - but it works and I feel it provides a more solid connection.

I just spent the last hour listening to it. In the morning, when the neighbors are awake, I'll see how it does when I really crank up the volume. :)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds