Philips DVP642 DVD player not starting up

Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago. I had been playing DVDs and CDs nicely till a few days ago. I watched a DVD movie on it last weekend, and after that I wanted to play some mp3s on it on wednesday. When I clicked the eject button on it, it came out of power down mode, and I heard a chirp sound in the speakers and it went back to power down mode again.

I tried it a couple of times and got the same reponse. I pulled the plug and let it rest for a while and tried again. Response was same!

Does anyone know where to get the service manual for it? Or does anyone have some other tips for me? Except the advice of sending it back to Philips. I would prefer to make it work myself if it is just some configuration setting which needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance, /KS

Reply to
BW

So I presume it's still under warranty?

If you aren't experienced in electronics, the likelyhood of repairing the unit yourself is slim. Even for a tech, DVD players are often not worth the time and effort due to ever falling prices of new players.

There's no configurations or adjustments which serve to restore a faulty appliance, they are there to set the unit up in the factory, and to compensate for tolerances when new parts are fitted.

If you attempt to adjust anything, you won't fix it, you will add another problem which will need addressing should the original fault be repaired. The unit should be under warranty, contact the place you bought it from. Don't be tempted to remove the covers or you may void your warranty.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

If it is under warranty, then by all means make Philips make good on it.

If not buy another brand next time (Pioneer seems to be the most reliable).

Philips consumer-grade stuff is the worst, and so is the company itself.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I'll second that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I was kind of afraid because Philips gave only 3month free exchange warranty and after that a reduced price exchange warranty till 1yr. However, on advice from people on this newgroup I went to the retailer and told them the situation. First they said that they will have to ask Philips to repair it. But when they scanned the device into their computer system, they said that I could get an exchange. To that I eagerly agreed :)

My experience is not too bad in electronics as I have successfully repaired my TV a few times, audio sytem too, and the latest was my Sony monitor repair with help from you guys on this newgroup.

I was referring to the service menu options that can be used via the remote. But I think in this case it might not have helped.

Thanks to all who helped with their valuable suggestions.

/KS

Reply to
BW

Hmmm.

Lots of advice, but not much of it very helpful.

Almost all of the Philips DVDs that I've ever repaired, irrespective of model, have had a similar fault, and this is one of the PSU secondary side Schottky diodes short circuit. This may not be the case with your machine, and I agree with some of the other posters that, for the most part, DVD players are not worth wasting time on, but it's got to be worth five minutes of your time with an ohm meter just in case.

Just a word on safety. Remember that this is a switch mode power supply, which is POTENTIALLY LETHAL. Do not check it or work on it live, unless doing so on a proper workshop isolation transformer, and even then only with care, and beware of the main smoothing cap on the primary side, remaining charged, as it can do on a switcher that's not starting up. Won't kill you, but may result in a smashed board where you involuntarily sling it against the wall ... !!

When checking Schottky diodes, remember that they have a significantly lower forward resistance than silicon types, but will still have a virtually infinite reverse reading. Any diode that reads low both ways should be considered suspect, but confirm that by unplugging the PSU output plug, as you can be fooled by reading across the VFD heater.

Reply to
Arfa Daily

minutes

with

you,

lower

Reply to
Ricki

**It also does a nice job of converting PAL to NTSC and is easily remote hacked to change the region code. I usually use a good DVD player for regular DVDs. I only use any of my cheapo PAL/NTSC players for foreign discs to avoid the extra mileage.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Even though the Philips guarantee was for a free exchange before 3months after purchase, I got lucky and the retailer exchanged the DVD player with one from LG an LDA-530.

I checked the price of the LG player and it was in the same bracket as that of the Philips one. So I'm assuming that the quality of the components used in the LG player would be similar to the one used in Philips. And as you say that PSU component faliure is common in Philips, should I assume it is possible in the LG one too? The DVP-642 group on yahoo said that the possible cause of the faliure of the unit could also be a blown capacitor. Now taking these possible causes into consideration, I am going to plug-in the DVD player to the power source only when I'm using it to watch a movie, play audio, etc. I used to keep the Philips player plugged in all the time. Even though it was in sleep mode most of the time, but still it was being powered and working at no-load.

Do you think this is a good approach in elongating the life of the player? Or should I just take it in that this one won't long last either and an year of performance would be good enough?

Thanks for all the suggestions, /KS

Reply to
BW

BW ha escrito:

One of the best ways of prolonging the life of most electronics is ensuring good airflow and ventilation. stacking amps , players etc. is a quick way to have them run hot, drying out the PSU caps. If you must put em in a confined space consider putting a small fan round the back to circulate air. Ben

I would definitely go along with that. I also would not recommend powering and depowering switch mode power supplies all the time. Start up is when they invariably fail, as that's the time of most stress on the primary side components.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Reply to
Chris

Hi There!

I was at radio shack and they do not have this part 1000uf 32v capacitor, but they have 100=B5F 50V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor which is located at

272-1044

will it do a job?

Please respond asap :)

Thank you!

Chris wrote:

Reply to
yaroslav.suris

I want to confirm that I have purchased this capacitor from Radio Shack

1000=B5F 35v part number 272-1032 and it works!!!!

It restored DVP642 into back working condition. thanks a lot for your help!!!!

Reply to
yaroslav.suris