Emerson EWD2202 DVD player/VCR Combo

A friend asked me if I could fix this thing... I said not likeley, but I'd give it a shot.

The problem is in the DVD portion, not the vcr.

If you put a Disc in, CD or DVD ( tried both), display shows "load" it spins up, the lense mechanics try to focus and what not, spins down, and repeats this maybe 5 times or so, then gives up, and finally displays "-----" on it's internal display. IF you don't put a disc in, but still eject the tray and close it back, it very quickly displays "-----". This makes me think that the laser is at least working.

She did not tell me if it was a gradual problem, or if one time it just suddenly did not work, with no warning sings. I tried to clean the lense, other than that, I don't know much else to do. IT looked pretty clean inside actually.

My hunch is, some component failed that is virtually impossible for me to find without some sort of diagnostic equipment, or by replacing parts one by one untill it works again.

Any Ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

Nic

Reply to