BAH! New (2 me) panasonic tube fading in and out

I just got a 27" panasonic TV a month ago. It's rather old, from 1993. It had a blown speaker and I replaced it. It had a perfect picture until recently.

It started to fade the picture to all black then back. It became more frequent over the week. Now it doesn't turn on and I'm lucky if it fades in for a couple seconds. Everything is perfect except for the black fading out video. I googled for a bit and found no seemingly bad solder points on any of the boards and i replugged in the connectors that I could get my hands on. I resoldered the 7 or so points where the filament tube goes in to the board.

Every time I take a look and poke around, maybe one out of 10 times the picture will come back on for a couple seconds.

I just paid $40 for the nice tv (it was giving a perfect picture) and $30 for a speaker, now I'm crap out of luck with no picture!

Any thoughts other than to move on and get a new one?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Here's one option. Any competent tech shouldn't charge more than 50 to

60 dollars to take care of that, considering what we've had to reduce our prices to as of late. That's still a beautiful product but, if it's not worth that to keep it going, toss it.
Reply to
Tech Data

Thanks for the thought, Tech Data.

I'm already in $70 for this TV after the speaker replacement. Considering how old it is, I'm not sure if it's worth spending more money to have someone repair it for me. I could find another TV used (maybe smaller and newer) for around $40-50... but I hate to see this as a waste of $70, you know what I mean!

Brian

Reply to
Brian

in

out

Brian,

Sounds like it could be the picture tube heaters going on and off, as the pix goes slowly to black then backup. I'd start looking for a dry joint somewhere in the heater supply area.

My 10 cents worth of advice is don't start re-soldering everything in sight. Find the bad joint first then you'll know for sure you've fixed it.

Barry

Reply to
Baz

Hi Barry. Thanks, but I'm no TV expert, although I love fixing things. I'm not sure what you mean by joints. I searched the boards for markings of "H" to indicate they are for the heater, but couldn't find any H's.

I got the picture working for an hour, at which point I turned it off and its back to black when turned on.

Reply to
Brian

Hi Brian again,

(I'll post on the top seeing how you did last time). If you are not familiar with the innards of a TV, best you call in some help.

Basically what I was referring to is a faulty or cracked solder joint, going intermittently open circuit. It could also be a cracked printed circuit board track, or tube socket. It could even be a faulty picture tube heater, but I'd honestly not put that at the top of the list. But it could be.

This type of fault, in my opinion, is best found with the TV turned on, using a magnifying glass and an insulated "prod", rather than lots of test equipment. Once again, if you're not familiar with being inside a TV and the hazards involved DON'T DO IT! You could end up DEAD, or severely injured (you really could, no joking).

Take the TV to a reputable repairer and fully describe the symptoms, and get their opinion.

Take care.

Regards Barry

"H"

It

fades

hands

$30

the

Reply to
Baz

Brian,

What the model number?

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics

Reply to
Brian

If the picture is fading gradually in and out, check for the heater glow in the neck of the CRT. If the heaters go out when the picture fades out, you've found the problem. There's not much that can cause that (usually either bad soldering, or an intermittent resistor).

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Hi Andy. The glow comes on when the picture comes on, and the glow fades out as the picture fades out.

I looked all over the board but found no bad solders that caught my eye.

Reply to
Brian